The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Tarn House Ravenstonedale

In the civil parish of Ravenstonedale.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY74970339
Latitude 54.42532° Longitude -2.38727°

Tarn House Ravenstonedale has been described as a Fortified Manor House although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a Pele Tower although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry footings remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


House; dated 1664 on door lintels with initials G.F. & I.F. (for George Fothergill and his wife Julian). May incorporate part of earlier building; some later alterations. Stable is addition, probably C18. House, wet-dashed rubble with quoins; stable, coursed squared rubble. Graduated slate roofs to house; stable roof corrugated asbestos to front and graduated stone flags to rear. Wing to rear. 2 storeys with 1 -storey porch. 5-bay house has chamfered plinth. Outer entrance to central gabled porch has architrave with incised scrolled stops to jambs and 4-centred head with dated lintel; stone side benches. Studded plank inner door has chamfered surround with 4-centred head. 6-light window to right and two 2-light windows to left all under continuous hoodmould, carried round porch as string, with ornate scrolled labels. Framed stone over porch entrance (re-used?) shows 5 shields bearing the arms of Fothergill, Scrope, Dent, Brand, and Skelton; lobed square opening above with ornate scrolled labels to hoodmould. 2-light and 4-light windows to 1st floor right, two 2-light windows to left; all windows under hoodmoulds with scrolled labels. The larger windows are subdivided by king mullions into 2-light windows. All original windows to front and rear wing are casements in double-chamfered surrounds with chamfered stone mullions. East return has single window (1st floor blocked) in chamfered surround with trefoil head (re-used?). 2-bay stable: Door with casement and narrow blocked opening to each floor on left; loft entrance up ramp on west return. Stone copings and kneelers to porch and gables; diagonally-set finial to porch; stepped and corniced end chimneys to house. Interior: House has large segment-arched fireplaces to ground floor east and rear kitchen; some shaped door-lintels with decorative carving. 2-stage cupboard built into C17 partition, with pierced frieze, separating kitchen from stairs. Massive chamfered beams. Stable has single upper-cruck truss. Said to be the first house in the district with a slated roof. (Listed Building Report)

With 14th century windows, was rebuilt in 1664 by George Fothergill. Over the front door are the initials and date G.F., I.F., 1664, George having married Julian second daughter of Richard Skelton of Armathwaite. Here lived Sir Thomas Fothergill, standard bearer to the first lord Wharton, when Lord Warden of the Western March (1537–42). (Curwen 1932)

Site of a gentry status manor house. Included by Perriam and Robinson in their gazetteer of medieval fortified buildings but there is no actually evidence the house was fortified either with a moat or a tower, although the house of such a military figure as the Lord Warden's standard bearer might be expected to have some martial symbolism.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape           Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:28

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact