GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bridlington Castleburn

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Castilburne

In the civil parish of Bridlington.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of East Riding of Yorkshire.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: TA18226677
Latitude 54.08330° Longitude -0.19426°

Bridlington Castleburn has been described as a Timber Castle although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a Siege Work although is doubtful that it was such.

There are no visible remains.

Description

The lost Hundred of Huntow, near Bridlington, has its name restricted now to three farm houses, and its moot hill, nearly hidden by high hedges and ash trees, is to be found in a small pasture field at the end of the narrow lane leading past the gas-works, between Bridlington and the Quay. It is rather peculiar in construction, having two long straight parallel banks of earth, one behind the other, on the east side of the hill proper, for what purpose I know not. Mt Thos. Holderness of Driffield, to whom I am much indebted, says that this hill is protected by a long ditch and rampart on the seaward side. (Nicholson)

The port and harbour of Bridlington were granted to the Priory by King Stephen c 1135; this became the focus for Bridlington Quay, a separate settlement to the market town. A possible defensive site has been suggested as existing in this area, largely based on the fact that Bridlington Quay was referred to between the 13th and early 16th centuries as Castleburn. (Brigham et al, 2008)
Comments

In a letter to a local paper Bryan Waites suggests, on the bases of the place name Castleburn and the comment by him that the hill was 'man made', that this was the site of a castle. The suggestion that the 'man made' features represent a castle site are very weak as this is an area that has had several hundred years of urban development. However, this is not impossible as the site of a small timber castle on the site of an earlier Saxon moot which rapidly lost function and could be dispensed with by 1135. Equally the castle name may just represent a continuation of the site as having some administrative function, but without defences, into the post-Conquest period. A final alternative is it represented some siege work associated with the 1143 warfare in the area between William Albemarle, Earl of York and Gilbert de Gant, Earl of Lincoln (see Bridlington Priory.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 13/04/2017 06:53:38

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤