GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Longford Castle

In the civil parish of Odstock.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU17142667
Latitude 51.03923° Longitude -1.75690°

Longford Castle has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

House constructed in 1591 comprising a triangular plan with corner towers. It was remodelled during the 18th century and between 1802-17 when a hexagonal scheme was used. A restoration was carried out during the 1870s. (PastScape)

Large house. 1591 by Thomas Gorges, C18 remodelling including James Wyatt's 1796 hexagon scheme, for 2nd Earl of Radnor, partially executed by D. A. Alexander 1802-17, restoration and additions of 1870's by A. Salvin for 4th Earl of Radnor. Chilmark stone with flint bands, Westmorland slate roofs, lead domes to stair turrets, ashlar stacks. Elizabethan triangular plan, two towers and linking wings added C19 to east. 3-storey, 11-window symmetrical entrance front to north-west, restored by Salvin. Central round-arched door, 5-bay loggias to ground and first floors with recessed second floor over, to sides are projecting bays of 2 windows with central niches, linked by recessed bay to 3-storey flanking round towers, the left one altered by Salvin with basement, the right original. All cross windows, decorative features include caryatids, string courses, pilasters and three Dutch gables. Circular stacks in groups of five. Towers have battlemented parapets with stacks. South or garden front entirely rebuilt by Salvin in C17 style, 1876; 3-storey, 9-window symmetrical front with flanking towers; 2 round-arched doors to left and right, cross windows to ground and first floors, five 3-light mullioned windows to second floor, string courses, two projecting bays with Dutch gables, central recessed bay with balustraded parapet, tall square stacks with circular stacks to flanking towers. Attached to right is one storey, 2-window range by Salvin, linking south-east tower to Alexander's east tower reduced by one storey in 1950's; windows to both are mullioned and transomed. East and north ranges and north tower by Alexander, altered by Salvin: Tower in banded stone and flint, ranges are buff-coloured Flemish bond brick, 2-storey east range with basement has cross windows, formerly 5 bays but partly demolished after 1949 fire. North range is 5-bay service wing with 3-light mullioned and transomed windows, 2-storey and basement with prominent glacis. Interior: Original Elizabethan fittings include three circular stair turrets with stone spiral stairs, in angles of central triangular court, south-west tower has wainscot panelling and carved stone overmantel depicting Vulcan to ground floor, former chapel to first floor has fine ribbed vaulted ceiling with central pendant, carved overmantel of c1600 depictng Orpheus, but from elsewhere. C18 fittings in Picture Gallery of 1730s and Green Drawing Room of c1741, fine Rysbrack fire surround and overmantel of 1744 in ground floor of south-east tower, composite capitals to black marble columns in chapel, by H. Barrell. Extensive refitting and rearrangement of interior by Salvin; glass dome covering of central court and wrought-iron galleries at first floor, many marble fireplaces and fine 6-panelled mahogany doors, ribbed plaster ceilings replacing C18 plasterwork. Original hall was in position of present billiard room, to right of front door. Gorges's house completed by 1591 and probably influenced by Tresham's Lodge at Rushton begun 1580. House depicted in series of plans and drawings by Thacker in 1680s when owned by Lord Coleraine, sold to Bouveries in 1717 and remained with them until present day. Surrounding park partly landscaped by Capability Brown. (Listed Building Report)

Perhaps the most ambitious late sixteenth-century castle in England is Longford in Wiltshire, which was constructed by Sir Thomas Gorges at some time between 1578 and 1591. Plans for the building drawn up by the surveyor John Thorpe label the three towers 'Father', 'Son' and 'Holy Ghost', an indication that the unusual triangular form of the building was intended to evoke the Trinity. As a matter of fact, it is also the shape of the artillery fort at Hurst Castle, Hampshire, where Gorges acted as keeper in the 1580s. Whatever inspired the plan, Sir Thomas was evidently fascinated by complex geometry. (Goodall)
Comments

The Castle does not seem to be separately recorded in the online Wiltshire SMR although the associated parkland is recorded under number SU12NE526.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤