GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Buxton Tower

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Old Hall Hotel; St Anne's Well

In the civil parish of Buxton.
In the historic county of Derbyshire.
Modern Authority of Derbyshire.
1974 county of Derbyshire.
Medieval County of Derbyshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK0575473477
Latitude 53.25803° Longitude -1.91525°

Buxton Tower has been described as a probable Tower House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

The earl of Shrewsbury constructed a tower house by 1572 beside the newly fashionable springs at Buxton. A smaller version of this structure also built by the earl in 1574, still survives at Sheffield Manor in Yorkshire. (Goodall, p. 459)

Town house, now hotel. 1572, altered 1672, rebuilt 1725-35, extended mid C18 and 1795-1805, with late C19 refenestration and C20 alterations. Originally built for the Earl and Countess of Shrewsbury. Ashlar gritstone and render with ashlar dressings and Welsh slate hipped roofs and stone stacks. INTERIOR: shows sections of original C16 building survive encased within later additions. Surviving features include 3 ft. thick original walling, exposed wall studding to basement, doorways with depressed arched lintels and chamfered and stopped surrounds, some re-used, concealed mullion windows; original plasterwork to first floor principal room with encased beam with rolled mouldings. Second floor has blocked 4-light mullioned and transomed windows (concealed). HISTORY: until recently it was believed that the 1572 building was demolished in 1670. The original building reputed to have been one of many houses belonging to the Earl of Shrewsbury used to imprison Mary Queen of Scots. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤