GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Thorpe Hall, Thorpe Salvin

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Thorpe Salvin Hall

In the civil parish of Thorpe Salvin.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Rotherham.
1974 county of South Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK52138126
Latitude 53.32597° Longitude -1.21878°

Thorpe Hall, Thorpe Salvin has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Ruins of the mansion rebuilt in the mid-late 16th century for Hercy Sandford. In addition to the gatehouse the three-storey, nine-bay symmetrical south wall of the courtyard-plan mansion survives, the wall having round corner turrets, projections for external stacks and a central porch. The bases of the rear corner turrets survive, that on the right is linked by a section of plinth wall. The ruins are of limestone rubble. (PastScape)

Ruined mansion. Mid-late C16. For Hercy Sandford (d1582). Rubble limestone, no roof. 3-storey, 9-bay symmetrical south wall of courtyard-plan mansion having round corner turrets, projections for external stacks and central porch; bases of rear corner turrets survive, that on right linked by section of plinth wall. In Tudor domestic style with transomed, ovolo-moulded mullioned windows mostly of 3 lights. Large quoins, chamfered plinth. Central porch projection has doorway with double-chamfered surround and Tudor-arched lintel with hoodmould; blocked 3-light mullioned window over has hoodmould. Transomed 1st-floor window with hoodmould now has wooden pigeon holes; transomed 2nd-floor window beneath dripcourse. 3 bays to each side have blind central stack projections surmounted by sections of mulled friezes and with diagonally-set stack plinths; bay 2 collapsed above ground floor. Turret at left end ruined, that on right intact and with windows set on the curve, 2nd-floor window without mullions, string course beneath rebuilt parapet. Right return: plinth remains and has projection for stop-chamfered doorway; base of turret on right. Left return: base of rear turret with chamfered square-headed doorway attached. Interior: rear of facade has large ground-floor fireplaces of which the relieving arches remain; triangular- headed fireplaces to upper floors. Heraldic panels on the gatehouse (q.v.) point to the date of construction being 1565-82. The building was sold to Sir Edward Osborne in 1636. His successor Thomas Osborne, Earl of Danby lived there until after his marriage; he became Charles II's chief minister and was created Duke of Leeds in 1694 after which time the family moved to Kiveton Park. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 16/11/2016 08:45:43

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤