GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Clipstone Peel

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Clipeston; Clypston; Beeston Lodge

In the civil parish of Clipstone.
In the historic county of Nottinghamshire.
Modern Authority of Nottinghamshire.
1974 county of Nottinghamshire.
Medieval County of Nottinghamshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK57066378
Latitude 53.16807° Longitude -1.14783°

Clipstone Peel has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a probable Uncertain.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Clipstone Peel was built in an extension to Clipstone deep park during the early C14 as a refuge for Edward II during a time of political turmoil. The peel was constructed in timber except for a stone gatehouse. When the peel was dismantled duiring the reign of Edward III, the gatehouse was left standing, and the small ruin known as Beeston Lodge is now all that remains. (Wright, 2008)

The sole extant remains at this site consist of a pile of broken masonry containing no architectural dating material; the whole is thickly overgrown by grass and bushes and is situated on an island surrounded by plough. Isolated fragments of roofing tile and building stone can be seen in the field edge. No local information was gained regarding the history of this building, and extensive research at the County Record Office was also negative. (Field Investigators Comments–F1 FDC 16-MAY-74)
SK 571637. Beeston Lodge ceased to exist by the mid - 19th century as indicated by maps of that period, but is shown, although not named, on Senior's Map of 1630. The lodge may have originated as the gatehouse of Clipstone Peel. From the later 14th century, references are made to a lodge in Clipstone Park, and these may refer to Beeston Lodge; by that time most parks had a lodge. The close proximity of the King's Manor, would make it unnecessary to build one at Clipstone The lodge may possibly have derived its name from one of its tenants. A peel, a sophisticated wooden palisade with external ditch and gates, was constructed in the months prior to January 1317, forming an extension to the western end of the park. The enclosure included a gatehouse, hall, royal chamber, a chapel, bakehouse, grange, and animal sheds. However, in January 1328, Robert de Clipstone was ordered to remove all except the gatehouse, and have them re-erected in the manor. There was 198 acres of arable, as well as pasture for which the river was diverted (Crook, 1976). (PastScape)

1307 Edward II was the King who spent the most time at Clipstone. Whether in his troubled reign he felt safe at this palace in Sherwood Forest is certainly a possibility, but he is recorded as being fond of rural pursuits. In 1317 he added a Pele to the Royal hunting Park. Constructed of timber with a stone gateway and house, this was to help improve and keep safe food, crops and animals. The famine in 1315 had left even the royal household short of supplies. The road and farm known today as Peafield is a corruption of Pelefield.
Edward III came to the throne and he had the Pele dismantled in 1328 and everything but the Gatehouse was brought back to the Manor at Clipstone. The gatehouse was to become Beeston Lodge. Sections of the standing wall remained until the 1950s. (Stapleton 1890)
Comments

Wright also reports that David Crook suggests this was built as a defensive refuge by Edward. Edward's troubles with Thomas of Lancaster may have lead to him having a larger than usual court retinue and an additional need for extra accommodation dressed up in the martial style his courtiers would expect. It is also suggested this was a fortified military supply base and warehouse for estate produce, although the provision of prestigious accommodation means it was certainly more than just that.
See Clipstone King John's Palace for full bibliography.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:06

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤