GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

The Yoder

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Yoden; Quarry Hills

In the civil parish of Peterlee.
In the historic county of Durham.
Modern Authority of Durham.
1974 county of County Durham.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ43204171
Latitude 54.76942° Longitude -1.32820°

The Yoder has been described as a Timber Castle but is rejected as such, and also as a Urban Defence but is rejected as such.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Clark lists in Durham "The Yoder.–A large moated mound between Horden and Eden Hall."

This would seem to be the the area of the DMV of Yoden.

'The Yoden, which distinguished itself from South Yoden, and from the north side of Eden Dene overlooked Hartness, has dwindled to a farm-house or two. But the site of its village, perhaps, exists in a field about half-way in a line between Horden Hall and Eden Hall. The field is full of ruins within, as it appears, a bounding trench, and on their north side is a large cone, doubly or trebly trenched in a semi-circular manner, from the top of which a commanding and beautiful view of the sea-coast is acquired.' (Longstaff)

The 'cone' referred to is mentioned also in the excavation report of 1885 vide infra: it is there made clear that this is a slightly inaccurate description of the natural hill which rises to the north-east of the earthworks. (Brigantia 2004)

The site of the village was visible as 'ruins within .... a bounding trench, and on their north side a large cone, doubly or trebly trenched in a semi-circular manner' according to Longstaffe. Excavations in 1884 by Mrs R Burdon showed the remains to be Medieval. Foundations were found clustered on the south and west of the conical hill or 'large cone' which was a natural feature. Other mounds proved to be earthworks only. Finds included a grinding stone, a hone, probable 14th-16th green-glazed pottery, a bronze buckle, animal bones shells and iron ore. (PastScape–ref. Middleton)
Comments

Mentioned in the VCH (1905) which suggests a village defence.
In the early 1970s attempts were made to preserve the site 'as a park of archaeological interest with easy access for the public'. This involved destroying the archaeology by using a tractor drawn rotovator prior to (unsuccessful) grass seeding!
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 02/02/2017 13:45:45

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤