The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Great Asby Rectory

In the civil parish of Asby.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY68051314
Latitude 54.51262° Longitude -2.49498°

Great Asby Rectory has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Private house (Rectory up to 1983). 2 storey 'U'-shaped plan under graduated slate roof with stepped stone chimneys and stone copings. North end C14, possibly a Solar rather than a tower-house. Squared, coursed rubble with quoins on massive plinth. Remains of earlier copings show roof was once more steeply pitched than at present. Single square-headed C17 mullioned 2-light window with hoodmould to ground floor on north and east sides (north has cavetto moulding); three similar 3-light windows under continuous hoodmould to 1st floor north are C19. Pointed window to 1st floor east is C14 with 2 trefoil-headed lights (quatrefoil between), mullion, transom, and hoodmould. Access to barrel- vaulted undercroft through dog-legged passage on south side (now within 1834 rear extension); both original doorways survive with pointed heads and chamfered surrounds (outer has hoodmould). In 1983 a C14 deeply-splayed slit window was discovered inside undercroft in middle of north wall; 1st floor has large late C17/early C18 stone fireplace with false 4-centred arch and moulded shelf. Main block of slobbered rubble, probably C17 (replacement of earlier building) with inserted C19 doorcase and 2 sashes on east side; square head of stair window on west side re-used C14 (with 2 ogee lights) from church. South block of snecked rubble added 1866; sashes to north and east walls, 2-light gothic revival window to 1st floor east. (All C19 sashes are without glazing bars and most have hoodmoulds). 1670 wooden lock presented to Rectory by Anne Countess of Pembroke (mentioned in R.C.H.M. & previous list) now (1983) kept in Parish Church. (Listed Building Report)

Rectory (Plate 15), 70 yards S. of the church, is of two storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The N. wing was a small pele-tower built in the 14th century. It was altered and re-roofed in the 17th century when the existing main block seems to have been re-built. The E. and W. wings are probably 18th-century additions. The tower (33 ft. by 23 ft. externally) is faced with squared and coursed stone. In the upper part of the E. end is an original 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights with a quatrefoil in a two-centred head with a moulded label; internally it is rebated for shutters. The lower window in this wall and the four windows in the N. wall are probably of early 17th-century date and are of two and three lights with square heads and labels. The entrance to the tower is by a dog-legged passage in the S. wall with an original doorway at each end; these have two-centred arches and the outer one has a moulded label. At the E. end of the wall are marks of the roof of an earlier building replaced by the existing main block. The ground floor has a segmental barrel-vault of rubble. The upper floor has a late 17th or early 18th-century fireplace with a flat triangular head and a moulded shelf. The main block retains the labels of some 17th-century destroyed windows and in the W. wall is the re-set head of a 14th-century window of two trefoiled ogee lights. Inside the building is a large wooden lock (Plate 60) with the initials and date A.P. 1670 (for Anne Countess of Pembroke). (RCHME 1936)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact