GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

King Johns House, Tollard Royal

In the civil parish of Tollard Royal.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST94421766
Latitude 50.95834° Longitude -2.08081°

King Johns House, Tollard Royal has been described as a probable Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

King John's House, Tollard Royal, incorporates a centre of about 1240 with a Medieval NW addition, remodelled in the late 16th century, a Medieval SW addition of which only foundations are known, and a timber-framed east range which replaced the 13th century solar wing. The house was restored in 1888-9. Tollard Park to the south is mentioned in 1405 and originally belonged to the house. It was altered before 1928 (Pevsner; Oliver; Pitt-Rivers). King John's House is in a good state of repair but is untenanted. The 13th century work has been exposed revealing the stone construction. The building has the typical layout of a 13th century hall with additional 15th century wings which have been plaster-faced, colour-washed and have modern wooden casement-windows. The roof and chimneys are modern. A restored doorway is visible on the SW side and two lancet windows on the SE. The 13th c. foundations found at the SW angle are not visible as the site is overlain by flower-beds. A porch on the NE and the building adjoining the NW angle are modern additions. (PastScape–ref. Field Investigators Comments F1 NVQ 23-APR-54)

King John's House was presumably the manor house of either Tollard Govis or Tollard Lucy. The stone central block of the present house was in the mid 13th century a cross wing, north of which stood the hall. The wing was of two storeys, perhaps with one room on each floor; a garderobe chamber projected from its south-west corner. Several medieval windows survive; those on the ground floor are small double-splayed lancets, most of those on the upper floor have two lights and internal seats. In the 17th century a chimney stack was inserted, dividing each floor into two rooms, a large timberframed cross wing was added at the eastern end, and a stair turret, perhaps replacing a stair which had been in the hall, was built on the north side. Under the direction of A. H. L.-F. Pitt-Rivers the house was extensively restored in the 1880s, some early 19th-century additions were removed, and a single storey extension was built north and north-west of the medieval block. After 1966 a pagoda, of two storeys, was built in the garden. (VCH 1987)
Comments

Site of a royal hunting lodge of King John. The house dates back to the mid C13. Augustus Pitt-Rivers, the 'Father of English Archaeology' inherited the house and spent many years restoring the old building.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤