The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Sinnington Hall

In the civil parish of Sinnington.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire North Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE746861
Latitude 54.26513° Longitude -0.85613°

Sinnington Hall has been described as a Fortified Manor House although is doubtful that it was such.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Standing and still roofed remains of a listed 12th century great hall located 40m NNW of All Saints Church, Sinnington, just to the east of the later and still occupied Sinnington Hall. The hall, which is Listed Grade I, is believed to have been built by Guisborough Priory in the later 12th century for the grange that was acquired from Ralph de Clere after 1168. At the same time, de Clere had given the church at Sinnington to the Benedictine nunnery at Yeddingham. In 1239 Yeddingham Priory agreed to support the chapel of St Martin and the other buildings at Sinnington owned by Guisborough Priory. In 1431-32 Matilda of York paid for a series of modifications to the chapel at Sinnington, which has been identified as being the great hall, including the installation of partitions and flooring, and the filling of holes and old windows. After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 1530s the hall is thought to have reverted to domestic occupation, becoming the rectory of William Thwaytes, but in the following centuries the building was re-roofed and converted into a barn and stables. The hall is orientated roughly north-south and is approximately 21m by 11m externally, stone built with a pitched slate roof. The west wall retains two partially blocked three light 15th century windows and, at the north end, a pair of two centre arched doorways. The east wall has an original 12th century door and window together with an additional larger three light 15th century window, all of which are now blocked. There is part of a large blocked 15th century window in the south wall together with two doors and a small rectangular window related to the change of use of the hall into a barn. Two later doorways, both relatively modern, have been inserted into the north wall and the northern end of the east wall respectively. Internally the hall has four bays, with the two end bays divided from the central pair by 2.5m high stone partition walls. These partition walls are later than the main shell of the building and form two separate rooms with a floor above open to the main body of the building. The southern partition wall partly blocks one of the 15th century windows and is considered to have been a post-Dissolution modification. The northern room, which has been used as a stables, is accessed by one of the two arched doorways and is believed to be earlier. The central pair of bays were originally divided by a 15th century oak screen which survived into the early 20th century. The carved oak cross beam for this partition believed to have been paid for by Matilda of York is still in place. (Scheduling Report)

Grange hall, later used as a Chapel; now barn. Late C12, converted to chapel before 1430; refenestrated before 1430; floor inserted c1430; reroofed probably in C17 or later; further later alterations. Grange hall probably built for Guisborough Priory. Corallian limestone with slate roof. West front: 2 storeys, 2 windows. 2 doorways to left. End opening double chamfered with 2-centred, roll-moulded arch over a board door and screen with a square-paned pointed overlight. To right of this a lower plank door in a chamfered opening with rough quoins and 2-centred arch. Over this door and to right are 2 blocked 3-light windows with cusped pointed heads in elliptical-arched, double-chamfered openings. East front: 2 storeys with irregular openings. Inserted doorway with timber lintel to right of centre. At centre left an earlier blocked doorway with 2-centred head. Further left, a deeply-splayed chamfered opening with a segmental head containing a recessed trefoil-headed light. To right of blocked doorway at first-floor level an original window, partly decayed, of 2 pointed lights with colonnettes beneath a shallow pointed outer arch on colonnettes which show traces of waterleaf capitals. Further to right another, partly blocked, elliptical-arched, 3-light window similar to those on west front. Gable wall to south: later openings on ground floor. Above, 5-light window in double-chamfered opening, almost completely blocked. Interior is divided into 3 unequal parts by 2 massive beams, one chamfered, the other finely- moulded: both have mortices on their lower side for partitions which were in place in the early C20. 4-centred arch to south window over a moulded beam carved with floral motifs. Roof consists of 6 trusses with chamfered tie beams; wind-braced purlins and sprocketed rafters. History. After 1168 Ralphe de Clere gave to the Benedictine nuns at Yedingham the Church (qv) at Sinnington, together with lands; and a grange site to Guisborough Priory. In 1239 the Yedingham nuns agreed to support the Chapel and buildings owned by the Guisborough Priory for the purpose of entertaining the Canons. The Grange was let back to Simon of Guisborough in 1368. In 1431-32, Matilda of York, whose second husband was John, Lord Latimer, paid for the installation of partitions and flooring in the "Chapel at Sinnington" and for other works including the filling of holes and "old windows under the space of the said room". After the dissolution the grange probably passed to William Thwaytes, as the Rectory. Building in dilapidated condition at time of resurvey. (Listed Building Report)

Ingham quotes Pevesner as writing "must once have been the great hall of a manor house or castle", but there does not seem to be any other suggestion the site was fortified. It should be noted that almost every manor house on the edge of the uplands of the North Yorkshire Moors was fortified.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape       Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:02

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact