GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Cheylesmore Manor House

In the civil parish of Coventry.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Coventry.
1974 county of West Midlands.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP33377865
Latitude 52.40488° Longitude -1.51122°

Cheylesmore Manor House has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Cheylesmore Manor House is known to have existed by 1250. A forerunner may have existed as Cheylesmore Park, and was in existence in c.1150. During the mid-C14, it was a favourite residence of the Black Prince and Queen Isabel. At that time it was probably moated, some remains of the moat surviving into the C16. The house was ruinous by 1538-9, the hall being 'down', but the lodgings remaining fit for repair. It was rebuilt between 1661 and 1685,but by the mid-C19 had been divided into tenements and weaver's huts. In 1945, two ranges of timber-framed buildings survived, one incorporating the gatehouse. It is thought that these formed the South and East sides of an irregular courtyard, the gatehouse being in the centre of the East side. The Great Hall may have been opposite to it on the West side. In 1955, a building forming the West end of the South side was demolished. It was a two-storeyed structure of six bays, and judging from the roof beams, of C14 date. The gatehouse itself is C14, but stands on an earlier structure PastScape–ref VCH)
Comments

The manor of Cheylesmore was annexed to the Duchy of Cornwall in 1337 subject to the life interest of Queen Isabella, who held it until her death in 1385. It lay on the southern outskirts of Coventry, and had a valuable stone-quarry within its park. In 1385 Richard II gave the citizens permission to take stone to complete their city wall on condition that the site of the manor-house was enclosed within the circuit. Thereafter Cheylesmore had the character of a town-house where the king stayed when he visited the city. C16 gatehouse remains which incorporates earlier work, but main remnants of the manor house were demolished in 1956.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 12/05/2017 06:52:24

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤