GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Buknahams

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Bokenhams; Talmache's; Hawstead Place; Hawstead House

In the civil parish of Hawstead.
In the historic county of Suffolk.
Modern Authority of Suffolk.
1974 county of Suffolk.
Medieval County of Suffolk.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL84195989
Latitude 52.20719° Longitude 0.69551°

Buknahams has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Robert Drury was granted, in 1510, licence to crenellate his manors of Hansted Hall, Buknahams and Onhowshalle, Suff.

Moat, rectangular, unoccupied, isolated. Site of Hawstead Place and associated fishponds. Water filled moat approx 10 yd wide lined with Tudor bricks. Site entered via a brick bridge on the S side, remains of the springing for which still survive. On the N and E sides there is a substantial outer bank 1-2 yds high; a break, approx 4 yds wide, in the bank on the N side, brick-lined suggests a subsidiary entrance. Nothing now remains above ground of the C16 house built by Robert Drury on the site of an earlier manor, and considerably altered by his grandson, Sir William, for Queen Elizabeth's visit in 1578, except for a statue of a wildman or Hercules restored and re- erected in 1978. Site and banks covered with trees and vegetation. In the meadow to the S are indications of two demolished ranges of farm buildings and to the SE is a brick-lined pond known to be Drury- period. To the S of the farm are 5 ponds, also contemporary, now partly silted up with vegetation and rubbish, but still impressive (Scheduling report). Manor of Bokenhams alias Talmages purchased by Roger Drury 1463-4 (Gage). His son, Sir Robert Drury, had a licence for a chapel here 1501 and a licence to crenellate his manor 1510 (Wedgwood). Description of rooms here in his will, 1531, seems to fit with the description of the house in 1784 by Sir John Cullum (Cullum). Approach to house was through a Base Court on the S side - slight earthworks still remain (1990) indicating the sites of the S and E ranges; one barn of circa 1470 still remains. Moat lies on N side of Base Court. Courtyard-plan house on western two-thirds of island. Cullum describes timber-framed building with drawing room, chapel, gate, smoking room, wood closet and dining room in S range ('royal' apartments over the W half); hall, screen and buttery in W range (the rectangular projection on this side might indicate a stair turret), kitchen and 'other offices' in the N range. The E range is described as having a cloister circa 45 ft long with views into a flower garden to the E of the house (the arches were later closed up and a parlour was made at one end). The internal courtyard measured 58 ft square. On the N side were two porches and between them stood the figure of a wildman, erected for the visit of Queen Elizabeth in 1578. Whole building was standing in 1730s; a C18 painting of the house shows a 'U' shaped house with the S range demolished (S5). Cullum's description, 1784, seems to indicate that only the N range was then standing. This range was finally demolished circa 1827 (Gage). Moated site now very overgrown with trees and bushes. Brick revetting (mainly header-bond with some irregular English bond) in poor condition. On the outside edge of the moat is a broad, flat- topped bank with brick revetting at the corners - this is obviously the broad prospect-terrace referred to by Cullum. A brick-lined gap on the N side indicates the site of the rear drawbridge. (Suffolk HER)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1510 March 8 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Mislocated by Campling as a moated site in Bradenhams Parish in Norfolk at TF91700973 and previous identified as that site in this database until 20-11-09. Based on Copringer and Suffolk HER record now identified as Hawstead Place. Gatehouse apologises for any inconvenience caused by this misidentification.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤