GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Little Compton

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Parva Cumpton

In the civil parish of Compton Wynyates.
In the historic county of Gloucestershire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Gloucestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP26133028
Latitude 51.97047° Longitude -1.62093°

Little Compton has been described as a Palace although is doubtful that it was such, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

John, Archbishop of York, was granted a licence to crenellate, in 1291, his 'mansum' at Parva Cumpton, Gloucestershire (now Warwickshire). Thompson asks if this was a refuge for the archbishop. He also writes the archbishop did not own this parish but Condicote to the west. Presumably this house would have been on the site now occupied by the C16 manor house.

Little Compton, Warwicks. appears in Thompson's list. Little Compton was not in episcopal hands (VCH Warwicks 5: 51). Thompson says "Licence 1291. The Archbishop did not own this parish but Condicote to west." The VCH for Condicote (Glos. 6: 65) states that the manor was owned by the church of Winchester at Domesday and was always subinfeudated. There is no mention of a bishop's residence here or at Little Compton, although the manor house at Little Compton was once home of William Juxon, bishop of London, then archbishop of Canterbury 1660-3. (Payne)

This parish was an isolated portion of the county of Gloucester until about 1845, when it was transferred to Warwickshire. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1291 Nov 11 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Tenurially the manor seems to have been held by Deerhurst Abbey in 1291 so, presumably, John was a subtenant of that house. The current Little Compton Manor is dated from the C16 and neither the PastScape record, the Warwickshire HER nor the Listed building report mention an earlier house but there can be little doubt the Manor occupies the site of John's licenced house. The house must have been a private residence, rather than an episcopal house, and part of the function of the licence to crenellate may have been to assert this.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤