GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Fallardeston

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Faulston House; Fallersdowne; Falston

In the civil parish of Bishopstone.
In the historic county of Wiltshire.
Modern Authority of Wiltshire.
1974 county of Wiltshire.
Medieval County of Wiltshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SU07292563
Latitude 51.02999° Longitude -1.89739°

Fallardeston has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Nicholas Benton (Bayntun) obtained, at the request of William Montacute, in 1376, licence to crenellate his 'muros domorum suarum in manerio suo de Fallardeston, Wilts.'

Dovecote at Faulston House. Early C17. Flint with dressed limestone bands, conical tiled roof with raised conical louvre at apex. Formerly of several storeys, now open from ground to roof. North side facing Faulston House has tall chamfered doorway, upper part now blocked, to left is first floor planked door and recessed chamfered square windows or loopholes. West side has blocked Tudor-arched opening at upper floor level and several loopholes. South side has one blocked and one open recessed chamfered window. Interior has stone corbels to former first floor, walls above are lined with stone pigeon boxes, renewed roof timbers. According to local legend and John Aubrey there were once four such towers around the moated Faulston House, but this has not been substantiated. (Listed Building Report)

Fallersdowne, vulgo Falston, was built by a Baynton, about perhaps Henry the Fifth. Here was a noble old-fashioned house, with a mote about it and drawbridge, and strong high walles embatteled. They did consist of a layer of freestone and a layer of flints, squared or headed; two towers faced the south, one the east, the other the west end. After the garrison was gonn the mote was filled up, about 1650, and the high wall pulled down and one of the towers. Baynton was attainted about Henry the Sixth. Afterwards the Lord Chief Justice Cheyney had it About the beginning of Queen Elizabeth, ….. Vaughan of Glamorganshire bought it; and about 1649, Sir George Vaughan sold it to Philip Earle of Pembroke. (Aubrey)

Faulston was the home of the Bayntons probably from the earlier 14th century to the early 16th. Traces of a moat can be seen on the north, east, and south sides of the present house, and in the southeast angle of the enclosure there is a tall circular tower with evidence of high abutting walls on two sides. The tower, which is of alternate bands of stone and faced flint, may date from the licence to crenellate granted to Nicholas Baynton in 1376, but its only architectural feature is a late-medieval doorway to the southern wall-walk. The house may have lain within the walled enclosure or have formed one side of it with a walled court to the south. It passed with the manor and was occupied by the Vaughans. It was 'slighted' in 1645. Aubrey described Faulston House as 'noble old-fashioned'. He mentioned its moat, embattled walls, and two south-facing towers. A short stretch of walling forming part of the south-west corner of the present house is of similar character to the tower, and the main east wall of the house has in it four doorways of late-15th- or 16th-century character which suggest that it may have been part of a screens passage or entrance hall. The double pile plan of the house, however, dates from a mid-17th-century reconstruction, presumably after the manor changed hands in 1649, and there are mullioned windows of that period in the north and west walls. The house was remodelled in the early 19th century when the south entrance front was refenestrated and the present staircase was inserted, and again later in that century when the kitchen was partly rebuilt, and perhaps reduced in size, and the interior was refitted. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1376 Oct 10 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

This surviving dovecote does seem to much remodelled and may be earlier than C17 and may have been something other than a dovecote originally, possibly a tower of Nicholas Benton's house. It is also suggested that the cellar of the current Faulston House may be medieval.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤