GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Selsey Manor of Bishop of Chichester

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Sellsey

In the civil parish of Selsey.
In the historic county of Sussex.
Modern Authority of West Sussex.
1974 county of West Sussex.
Medieval County of Sussex (Rape of Chichester).

OS Map Grid Reference: SZ85819376
Latitude 50.73717° Longitude -0.78521°

Selsey Manor of Bishop of Chichester has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Residential manor of the Bishop of Chichester. Included in licence to crenellate obtain by Bishop Moleynes in 1447. Thompson writes 'Possible traces in Manor Farm'

The Manor Farm, formerly the Manor House, a little to the north of the church and village, probably retains some part of the building erected or enlarged by Bishop Robert Sherburne early in the 16th century, but it has undergone many changes and it is not possible to trace the original plan of the house. It now consists of two parallel ranges forming together a rectangular plan facing west. The front is faced with squared rubble of Mixon Rock with flint chippings in the joints and has brick dressings to the windows and the angles, and a brick eaves cornice, all of the end of the 17th century.
At the time of the Domesday Survey SELSEY was a manor of the Bishop of Chichester, assessed at 10 hides, of which Geoffrey held 1 hide and William hide and virgate; there were 6 haws in Chichester attached to the manor. From this time the manor remained attached to the see until 1561. In that year Queen Elizabeth, by virtue of an Act passed in her first parliament, compelled the bishop, William Barlow, to surrender a number of manors, including Selsey, then valued at £53 4s. 10 d. clear yearly value, in exchange for various rectories and tithes. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1447 Oct 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 15/07/2016 11:05:40

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤