GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Wormleighton Manor House

In the civil parish of Wormleighton.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP44855380
Latitude 52.18049° Longitude -1.34582°

Wormleighton Manor House has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Fragment of a large manor house, now a farmhouse, built circa 1512 with C17, C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Built of brick in English bond with regular coursed rubble ironstone and ashlar. The tile roof have stone coped gable parapets. The original plan of the building is indeterminate, much of the house is said to have been destroyed in the Civil War. A licence to crenellate was granted in 1512. The associated gatehouse and lodge were built in 1613. (PastScape)

Fragment of large manor house, now farmhouse. c1512, with C17, C18 and C19 additions and alterations. Built for John Spencer. C16 and C18/C19 English bond brick and regular coursed ashlar and rubble ironstone. Tile roofs have stone coped gable parapets; stone and brick ridge, end, internal and lateral stacks. Original plan indeterminate. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range. c1512 brick left range of 2 high storeys, 4-window range. Some flared brick diaper work. Central and right end buttresses of 2 offsets. Entrance in third bay has C19 ribbed door with applied arch and 2 rows of 3 panels, with overlight and flanking panels inserted into bottom half of 3-light window. Cavetto-moulded Tudor-arched-light stone mullioned windows with transoms and hood moulds, mainly of 4 lights, with most lights blocked. On first floor C19 plank loading door inserted into bottom part of second window; hoist bracket to left. Fourth bay has blocked former 2-light window and within it a C19 three-light casement and wood lintel inserted into later doorway. To right: blocked Tudor arch doorway has remains of hood mould. Right end has 3-light C19 casement, with another above, partly in blocked opening. First floor has 4-light window. Right corner has some stone. End stacks. C18/early C19 twin gable range to right. 3-light casements, leaded on ground floor, under cambered brick arches. C19 casements have glazing bars throughout. C19/C20 sash door with glazing bars inserted into remains of 3-light mullioned window in angle. Very large external stack to right has multiple offsets. Bricked-up fire window on left. C18/CI9 brick shaft. Left return side is 2-window range. Left part projects slightly with stone coping dying back into wall above first floor. C16 Tudor-arch mullioned windows with sunk spandrels. Right part has large one-storey 4-light canted bay window with king mullion and splay sills. Tile roof. 2-light windows to left and above. 2 small gables dying into parapet between. Left gable has blind Tudor-arch with carved figure, and kneelers with finials. Irregular brickwork. Right return side has 2-light mullioned first floor window. Garden front is 6-window range; right range taller. Left end of regular coursed stone, centre of rubble, right end of early C16 brick. Large stone and brick diagonal buttress on right. Ribbed door with applied Tudor arch and 2 x 3 panels, flanking panels, and wood lintel, between first and second bays. Similar door between fourth and fifth bays has overlight. Chamfered stone Tudor arch doorway with similar door. Large mid/late C19 stone 2-light canted bay on left has large full length Tudor-arched lights with transom. Crenellated parapet. Irregular fenestration of 2 and 3-light C19 wood mullioned and transomed windows with glazing bars. First floor has 2 carved stone shields, one of the Spencer arms. C19/C20 ridge stack on left. Right range has large internal stack of thin bricks, with 4 square C19 brick shafts. INTERIOR: moulded Tudor arch door. Some moulded beams. HISTORICAL NOTE: much of the house is said to have been destroyed in the Civil War. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1512 Nov 8 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Licence to crenellate granted in 1512 to John Spencer (jointly with Althorp, Northants). According to Dugdale Spencer purchased the the manor in 1506 and 'soon after began the structure of a fair Mannour-house'. This suggests the licence was obtained after the completion of the house or possibly for a 'topping out' ceremony (as is clearly shown with some other houses e.g. Hengrave Hall). This means the dating of the house suggested in the Listed Building Report is probably slightly incorrect.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤