GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Milcote Manor

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Mylcote; Mountgrevell

In the civil parish of Milcote.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP17705199
Latitude 52.16590° Longitude -1.74262°

Milcote Manor has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Listed as site of castle by Harvey. Lewis Grevill was granted a licence to build a new manor house at Mylcote and embattle it and call it Mountgrevell in 1567.

1567: Ludovic Grevell obtained Royal Licence to build and embattle a new house at Milcote and call it Mountgrevell. This he began but never completed. The ruins were still standing in 1730. It is not quite clear whether it was this or the Old Manor House (PRN 1340) that was burnt by Parliamentary troops in 1644 (VCH). The wife of the farmer of Milcote Hall, said that about 1943 foundations were ploughed up in the proximity of the published site. There is nothing to be seen there now, the field being arable and under crop (OS record card). Material collected in the late 1950s included quantities of Post Medieval/Imperial pottery, glass, tile and a fragment of iron (OS record card). A burnt area under plough presumably indicates that this was the building burnt by Parliamentary troops (C. Dyer, 1986, unpublished note). An order dated 4th December 1644 was signed by the Coventry Committee, headed by William Purefoy, to blow up the roof of Milcote house with 3 barrels of powder so as to make it unfit for use as a Royalist garrison. This was partly as a reaction to The Royalists garrisoning Campden house in Chipping Campden, Gloucestershire and also Lark Stoke manor, near Ilmington, Warwickshire. At midday on Thursday the 5th December 1644, 200 horses, under the command of Major Joseph Hawkesworth (later governor of Warwick Castle), arrived at Milcote house. The Earl of Middlesex's steward was the only man living at the house and was given a mere 2 hours to remove what he could before the house was fired in 3 or 4 places. Troops then stayed until dark to make sure the house burned. Most of its fittings and contents went with it (B. Gethin, 2009, unpublished document). (Warwickshire HER)

To whom suceeded Lodowik his son and heir then 22 years of age; who being an ambitious and spirited man, procured Licence (Pat. 9 Eliz. p. 3.) from Q Eliz. in 9 of her reign, to make a Castle here at Milcote, and to call in Mount-Grevill, which accordingly he began to do on the top of the Hill above a quarter of a mile Southwards from the old Mannour house, as is to be seen by part of the fabrick yet standing. (Dugdale)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1567 Oct 28 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Not the moated manor house site now occupied by C17 building Milcote Manor Farm (SP17125244) which the VCH states belonged to the Earl of Middlesex.
There are no remains of this house and moat, which was possible the one recorded as being burnt by Parliamentary troops in 1644. Grevell's house, which the VCH records as never finished (Greville was hanged for murder a few year after the licence was granted) but as still standing in 1730. The complete lack of remains does suggest that this was an unfinished building project, although if the Milcote house destroyed by Parliamentery forces was this site then it was habitable in the mid C17, although Dugdale probably writing before this supposed destruction ( Antiquities was published in 1656 but was probably long delayed because of the Civil War) records the house as already ruinous suggesting the house destroyed in the Civil War was the old Milcote manor. There was a deer park which was licensed with the house.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤