GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Beaudesert Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Beudesert; Boudezworth

In the civil parish of Longdon.
In the historic county of Staffordshire.
Modern Authority of Staffordshire.
1974 county of Staffordshire.
Medieval County of Staffordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK05491331
Latitude 52.71758° Longitude -1.92002°

Beaudesert Hall has been described as a probable Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are uncertain remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Castle listed by Harvey as in Staffordshire.

Country house remains. Late C15 core remodelled and extended circa 1600 with further alterations of the C19; dismantled circa 1932. The C15 work is in sandstone ashlar and the later additions in red brick with ashlar dressings. The principal fragment is the south wall of the medieval great hall. It has a chamfered plinth and set high up in the wall are 3 large late C15 transomed windows with 4 upper and 4 lower lights, square heads and Tudor rere-arches. Between the central and left hand windows is an external chimney stack of circa 1600. Towards the west end of wall is a Tudor arch doorway of circa 1600 with ovolo-moulded surround and drips tone and a cyma recta moulded cornice hood. On the inside (north) of the wall to the left of the doorway is a vertical groove in the stonework, which may have taken a screen. There are 2 more large fragments of the house to the north of the great hall, both of brick, one C17 and the other C19. (Listed Building Report)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1306 Sept 16 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Gatehouse believes Harvey's castle must be the bishops hunting lodge Beaudesert Hall which received a licence to crenellate in 1306. The current ruins are of a late C15 house and may represent a new site the original bishops house may have been a rebuild of the C11-C12 Royal hunting lodge at Cannock, possibly within Castle Ring or at Radmoor, although it was said that parts of this house date back to time of William Rufus (White). Thompson writes "Bishop Langton received, in 1306, a licence to crenellate Beaudesert, Staffs and Ashby, Northants and all episocopal palaces in England."
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤