The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Nether Stowey Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Dowsborough; Staueiam

In the civil parish of Nether Stowey.
In the historic county of Somerset.
Modern Authority of Somerset.
1974 county of Somerset.
Medieval County of Somerset.

OS Map Grid Reference: ST18703958
Latitude 51.14957° Longitude -3.16388°

Nether Stowey Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Despite part of the surrounding bank and ditch being damaged by quarrying Stowey Castle is a good example of a motte with two baileys and it retains some of its original building fabric in its stone keep. There are documentary references to the castle which establish its Norman foundation before 1154. The site of St Michael's Chapel is clearly associated with Stowey Castle, to which it is linked by a hollow way. Although there are no visible above ground remains of the medieval kiln site adjoining Stowey Castle, the site lies relatively undisturbed in pasture and is known from partial excavation to be an example of a stone built kiln type and will contain further archaeological remains relating to the kiln complex. The monument as a whole incorporates a number of structures and works of various dates and differing functions, all of which will retain archaeological and environmental evidence which will be informative about the lives of the inhabitants of Stowey Castle and some of the practices, such as the making of pottery, which were taking place in its shadow during the medieval period and later.
The monument includes Stowey Castle, a motte with the remains of a stone keep and two baileys, an adjacent medieval kiln site, the site of St Michael's Chapel, and the remains of a post-medieval mill and a mill pond, all of which are situated to the west of Nether Stowey. The castle site, located on a steep eastern outlier of the Quantock Hills, is oval in plan and includes a sub-circular motte or mound of natural rock with steeply scarped sides approximately 8m high above a surrounding flat-bottomed ditch which is an average of 5m wide across its base. Fronting the ditch is a counterscarp bank which has an average height of 5m. The remains of a keep, a Listed Building Grade I, constructed of coursed rubble stone about 20m by 15m with inner dividing walls, stands on the flat summit of the mound. A small structure of the same material is attached to the south east side of the keep and is probably the remnants of an entrance building. On the east side of the mound is a broadly triangular shaped bailey which is defined on its south and south east sides by a bank and ditch which together are approximately 18m wide. A second, smaller bailey, irregular in plan and with its north and east sides steeply scarped, is located on slightly higher ground immediately north of the larger bailey. The two baileys are divided by a ditch 4m to 5m wide which extends eastwards from the castle mound. An entrance on the south side of the site, adjacent to the west side of the larger bailey is considered to be modern although the precise location of the original entrance is uncertain. The earliest known documentary reference to Stowey Castle comes from a charter dated before 1154. However, it may have been founded on an earlier, fortified site of pre-Conquest date which was possibly developed by William fitz Odo during the 11th century. The site of St Michael's Chapel is also included in the monument. It is located on lower ground to the east of the mound on the outside of the southernmost bailey. The chapel was linked to the castle by a hollow way which survives as shallow ditch leading from the chapel to the castle and joining with the dividing ditch of the baileys. There are no visible above ground remains of the chapel but evidence for it comes from documentary sources which refer to a 1362 rental, which records that it was one of two chapels dependent on the Mother Church of St Mary. The site of the chapel is marked on early maps in the fork of Butcher's Lane and Castle Hill east of Stowey Castle. Fragments of Norman masonry have been found in the vicinity of the site and they include a 12th century cushion capital. Also included in the monument is a medieval kiln site located on the lower ground to the west and south west of Stowey Castle in an area historically known as Portery Field. The site occupies a broadly rectangular area of land aligned from north to south through which a tributary of the Stogursey Brook flows following the same north to south alignment. The kiln site was revealed in 1969 during the digging of a pipe trench. Medieval pottery dated to the 14th century, apparently of a type well known from the Bridgewater area, together with associated kiln debris was found. A subsequent limited excavation revealed a stone built kiln, oval in structure with a single flue. A documentary reference from 1275 which mentions fees paid by potters for the right to operate in Nether Stowey may refer to this kiln complex. The remains of a post-medieval mill and mill pond which are located within the area of the kiln site adjacent to the stream are also included in the scheduling. The surviving features of the mill site include part of the back wall of the wheel pit and an oak lined culvert. A stone lined pond located to the north and used as a feeder pond for the mill may be of medieval date and is possibly associated with Stowey Castle. (Scheduling Report)

Ditch around motte 9m wide and slightly over 2m deep, motte 6m high and flat topped with two large and two small mounds as the edge which may be sites of towers. Central area occupied by approximately square foundations 10m by 10m with internal divisions. Stone work showing through the turf at a few points. All in good condition, good turf cover and no erosion or poaching. Nettles growing in the pits between the foundations. Bailey also has good turf cover. (Somerset HER)

The castle, which superceded the castle at Over Stowey was built in a strong natural position on an outlier of the Quantocks. The standing remains are consistent with a 12th century date for its construction, which date is also suggested by the documentary evidence. They consist of a motte and two baileys, with the foundations of a keep and a possible entrance building on top. The foundations were revealed by Peregrine Acland in the 19th century and he reported walls up to 6'6" thick, from which nearly all the usable building stone had been removed (Gresswell, 1897). The site was being let for pasture after 1485, and much of the castle stone may have gone into the manor buildings. The banks and ditches of the baileys have also been affected by quarrying. The site was reputedly garrisoned by Royalists in the Civil War (according to Morris' 1872 directory) and burnt to the ground by Parliamentarians. There have been no properly published excavations at the castle, and we do not really know whether it was ever residential (Greswell 1897), or whether anything remains of the supposed 17th century conflict. (Gathercole 2003)

Norman Pound, very early in his career, wrote 'Is an undistinguished castle mount of no historical importance. Built c. C12 and all the masonry had probably disappeared by the C16.' Actually this seems a fine example of a motte and bailey and certainly not 'undistinguished'. Some stonework for the castle is reused in local houses and the masonry castle seems also to have been a fine building.
This may be the castle of William fitz Odo taken by Henry de Tracey by surprise and guile in 1139.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:53

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact