The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Barton Kirk

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Barton Church Farm

In the civil parish of Barton.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY48552642
Latitude 54.63034° Longitude -2.79903°

Barton Kirk has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a Bastle although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Late C16, and little doubt preceded by some fortified dwelling occupying this peculiar site, which seems to have been chosen for its defensive capabities. Approached by a raised causeway. (PastScape)

Barton Church Farm, house and outbuildings, 250 yards W. of the church. The House is of two storeys with attics; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The building is L-shaped with the wings extending towards the S. and E. The S. wing dates from the 16th century; the E. wing was added in 1628 by the then vicar of Barton, Lancelot Dawes. The porch was added in 1693, probably by Thomas Dawes.
The house contains some interesting remains of plaster-work.
The 16th-century S. wing retains many of its original stone-mullioned windows with moulded labels; one on the W. side is of four transomed lights; the doorway below it has chamfered jambs and square head. On the E. side is an original staircase-projection with a square-headed window. The E. wing retains some 17th-century windows, including one of five lights with a moulded label, E. of the porch. The porch is ashlar-faced and has a doorway with a triangular arch in a square head; above it is a panel with a moulded label, carved stops and the inscription "L. and A.D. Non est haec requies 1628. T. and E.D. 1693." The inner doorway has moulded jambs and a triangular arch in a square head; the nail-studded door has strap-hinges. Inside the building, the former Hall, in the S. wing, has exposed ceiling-beams and a fireplace with a wide segmental arch. The two staircases retain their original stone steps and newel, in whole or in part. In the E. wall of the E. wing is a fireplace with moulded jambs and square head. The first floor room in the S. wing retains parts of a late 16th or early 17th-century plaster ceiling, of two bays and formerly completely covered with elaborate ribbed panelling enclosing vine-sprays, rosettes, thistles and conventional scrolls; part of the plasterwork formerly on the soffit of a beam has been re-set above the fireplace; it has scrolled arabesques, masks and birds and below ten grotesque human faces from the ceiling; the date 1628 is modern. The roof of the S. wing has tie-beams, struts and curved collars. (RCHME 1936)

C17 farmhouse, possibly with some C15 remains and C16 wing in defensible site surrounded by bog and approached by raised causeway.
This was a manor house, of a small manor, although seemingly held by sub-tenants laterly the Dawes, who seem to have mainly been clerics and sometimes vicars of the nearby parish church. Arguably could be considered as a 'superior' bastle.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact