The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Trematon Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Tremetone; Tremetune

In the civil parish of Saltash.
In the historic county of Cornwall.
Modern Authority of Cornwall.
1974 county of Cornwall.
Medieval County of Cornwall.

OS Map Grid Reference: SX41065801
Latitude 50.40041° Longitude -4.23770°

Trematon Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Castle mentioned in Domesday and passed to the Duchy of Cornwall in 1337. It became neglected in the mid C14 and was in ruins by C16. There are the remains of C12 shell keep and the gatehouse, rebuilt in C13, is substantially intact. A deer park is named in 1282 but had lost the deer by 1500. Higher Lodge, a two storey crenellated house (2-star listed), was built within the castle bailey in 1807-8 and part of the curtain wall was demolished to provide views of the estuary. (PastScape)

Trematon Castle, mentioned in Domesday, passed to the Duchy of Cornwall in 1337. It became neglected in the mid C14 and was in ruins in C16. The C12 shell keep stands on a natural hillock having traces of buildings round its internal face. A large portion of the curtain wall, including parapet, still stands but a length to the south east was destroyed to provide a view of the estuary when the house was built within the bailey in 1807. No trace exists of the hall and chapel which originally stood in the bailey. The gatehouse, rebuilt in C13, is substantially complete although the windows have been enlarged. The deer park adjoining Trematon Castle was named in 1282 but had lost its deer by 1500 (Henderson). Bought by Richard, Earl of Cornwall, in 1270 from the Vautort family, it was bestowed on the Black Prince in 1337. At the time it was described as being well-walled, containing a kitchen, hall and two-storied chamber, the buildings being constructed on wood and plaster. There was also a chapel and gateway. Granted out between 1392-1443, it was again in royal hands from 1443, and was in ruins by Leland's time. In the early C19 a surveyor-general of Cornwall bought the property and built a house for himself in the bailey. He pulled down a section of the wall in order to improve the view. The keep, C13 gateway and the greater part of the bailey wall still remain largely intact. (PastScape–Ref. HKW)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:22:04

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact