GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Moor Monkton Rede House

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ughtred Manor; Monkton on the Moor; Red House; Monketon super moram

In the civil parish of Moor Monkton.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of North Yorkshire.
1974 county of North Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire Ainsty & York.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE52915715
Latitude 54.00767° Longitude -1.19417°

Moor Monkton Rede House has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

The monument includes earthwork and buried remains of a medieval moated site. It is located on raised ground 200m south west of the River Ouse, 50m to the north west of Red House. The date of construction of this site is currently unknown but it is thought to have been in existence by 1392 (sic) when Sir Thomas Ughtred, whose family had held the manor of Moor Monkton and Scagglethorpe since the Norman Conquest, was granted a licence to empark his woods and to crenellate what was called the 'Rede House'. This was almost certainly located on the platform of the moated site. The medieval village of Scagglethorpe was located in the fields to the south of Red House. It was common for the more prestigious dwellings of medieval settlements to be located in a prominent position away from the main settlement. The prominent position of the moated site reflects its importance as the habitation of the lords of the manor. The village of Scagglethorpe no longer exists and it was probably abandoned during the 14th to 15th centuries when many villages in the north of England were deserted. The moated site was located in a prominent position overlooking the River Ouse and would certainly have had access to the river for transport and communication. Given the relatively poor state of medieval roads the river would have been a major source of access. In 1523 the estate was sold to the Seymour family and later in 1560 to Sir Francis Slingsby, son-in-law to the Earl of Northumberland. By the beginning of the 17th century the moated site had been abandoned. The reason for this is not fully understood, but it is likely to be because a newer, grander and more fashionable residence was required. In 1607 construction of a new building started, which evolved into the current Red House, chapel and walled garden. (Scheduling Report)

The earthworks comprise a rectangular central platform measuring 50 metres by 28 metres, enclosed by a moat on all except the southwest side. The moat has a flat bottomed profile and survives up to 4 metres wide at the base and has a maximum width of 20 metres at the top. It has a maximum depth of 2.5 metres. Excavations on the platform have recovered pottery dating to the 15th and 16th century. The site was abandoned by the early 17th century when the present Red House was constructed. (PastScape)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1342 Feb 25 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

The date of 1392 in the scheduling report is clearly incorrect. The actual date of the licence is 1342. The scheduling report should be altered to reflect a checkable and well accepted reference source (The Calendar of Patent Rolls) rather than an unsourced uncheckable date that has every characteristic of a typographical error.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 16/11/2016 08:43:50

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤