GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Temple Newsam Preceptory

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Temple Newsham; Temple Thorpe Farm

In the civil parish of Leeds.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Leeds.
1974 county of West Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE353309
Latitude 53.77369° Longitude -1.46696°

Temple Newsam Preceptory has been described as a Fortified Ecclesiastical site although is doubtful that it was such.

There are no visible remains.

Description

A preceptory of the Knights Templars was founded at Temple Newsam before 1181, and dissolved 1308-12. It has been suggested that its site was not where the present building stands, but traditionally about a mile away to the N.E., or alternatively nearer the River Aire. Temple Newsam, however, probably occupies the site of the original buildings, and it is possible that some of the C12 foundations are incorporated in the north wing. No part of the present house is earlier than 1544, but it is probable that substantial buildings existed prior to that date. It was added to in 1620. Now maintained by Leeds Corporation as a museum. (Knowles and Hadock, 1971; Kitson and Pawson, 1927: Bogg, 1902). (PastScape)

The Manor of Newsam ('new houses') is first recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086. In 1155 it became a property of the Knights Templar, the military - religious order who guarded the pilgrim routes to Jerusalem. Their farmstead, excavated in 1991, was about half a mile to the south of the present house, close to the river Aire. After the order's suppression the property eventually passed to the Darcy family and the first person to build the new house on this site in c. 1500 was Thomas Lord Darcy, a courtier, mercenary and crony of Cardinal Wolsey. This was a spectacular four-sided courtyard house of which only the west wing survives as the central block of the building we see today. (Leeds City Council, 2004)

Site of Knights Templar Preceptory. Excavated between Autumn 1989 and Dec- 1990 after the initial evaluation. A cruciform aisled barn, pit containing wooden barrels, other structures and the surrounding moat ditch were excavated. Minor additional work in 1991 found that the area immediately north of the chapel was disturbed by recent animal burials. Three stone-lined pits were discovered. (NMR Excavation Index)

The preceptory, founded I 128-54, had fallen into ruin by 1347, and the course of Colton Beck had been altered to flow through the remains of the second building. The stream could have been diverted to power a mill or to feed a moat: a farm with a mill nearby is attested in the area in 1554, and a moated farmhouse and mill in the 17th century. (Med. Arch. 1990)
Comments

The preceptory may have been moated and may have had other defensive features.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤