GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

St Lois

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
St Loys; Sutton; le maners

In the civil parish of Sutton Upon Derwent.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of East Riding of Yorkshire.
1974 county of Humberside.
Medieval County of Yorkshire East Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SE70934925
Latitude 53.93452° Longitude -0.92110°

St Lois has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.

Description

Moated site at St Lois Farm. It includes a large sub-rectangular moated site enclosed by a waterlogged moat. The island enclosed by the main moat is subdivided by a ditch, now dry, which runs north-south. The area of the island to the west of this ditch measures 30m north-south by 20m east-west; the area to the east, which is slightly larger and more irregularly shaped, measures 50m north-south by 35m east-west. The dividing ditch is 20m deep and 7m wide. The moat which enclosed the island has been in-filled at the south-east corner of the monument, probably when the adjacent farm complex was constructed in this area. Elsewhere it remains visible as an earthwork and is between 7m and 10m wide and up to 20m deep. A pond has been cut into south-east corner of the monument just north of the farmyard. This feature is considered to be of medieval origin but has been expanded and has disturbed part of the island and moat here. Earthen banks survive immediately outside the western and northern arms of the moat; they are between 0.3m and 0.5m high and 5m wide. The monument was owned in the Middle Ages by the Percy family who were Earls of Northumberland. A licence to crenellate was granted for the site in 1293, allowing Percy to fortify it. Building debris has been found on the eastern island, indicating the presence of structural remains here. (Scheduling Report)

The manor-house was probably mentioned, as 'le maners' in the park, in 1309. It was certainly recorded in 1368. The park had been mentioned as early as 1280 and ground south of the manor-house is still called the Park. It may have been in the manor-house, moreover, that the chapel was located where Aubrey, widow of Robert de Percy, was licensed to have a chaplain in 1232. In 1314 Aubrey, daughter of Robert de Percy, was granted an oratory in the manor-house. (VCH)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1293 Feb 22 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 16/11/2016 08:42:33

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤