The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Vale Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Le Chateau St Michel; Chateau de Val; Chateau de Valle

In the parish of Vale.
On the Isle of Guernsey.

Latitude 49.48507° Longitude -2.50897°

Vale Castle has been described as a certain Masonry Castle, and also as a probable Artillery Fort.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a archaeological monument protected by law.


The Vale Castle sits on a hill on the island's east coast looking out over what was once the separate island of the Clos du Valle.
Until the Early 19th Century Le Clos du Valle was separated from the rest of Guernsey by the Braye du Valle. This was similar to the Lihou causeway in that it dried up at low tide.
A causeway crossed the Braye at a point half a mile west of the castle.
Le Clos formed the greater part of the Parish of St Michel du Valle, and the Castle was known as the Le Chateau St Michel.
Archeological evidence suggests that an Iron Age fort was built on the hilltop around 500 to 600 BC and that the castle itself was built around 1370-1400.
In 1616 the gateway and walls had to be repaired at the expense of the five northern parishes. A powder house, guardroom and houses for the garrison were added around this time.
During the English Civil War Parliamentarian troops may have been stationed in the Castle. Extensive repairs were recommended in 1680 after the Civil War but it was abandoned shortly after. Nearly a century later it was reported to be in a state of disrepair.
The increased threat of invasion during the American War of Independence from 1778-1783 prompted the castle's complete repair and the building of barracks and garrison by regular army troops.
Two divisions of Russian troops were stationed in Guernsey, Alderney and Jersey in 1799. Hundreds of them contracted disease and the dead were buried close to the Vale Castle.
By the end of the 19th Century the barracks were abandoned, not for the first time, and fell into a neglected state. During World War I the local militia had a small garrison in the castle and between the wars the barracks were used by the States as homes.
German forces demolished the barracks during the Occupation from 1940-1945 and built concrete fortifications in and around the castle. Thus the site has been used for military purposes for over two thousand years.
Large excavations took place in 1980. These indicated the original construction date of around 1370-1400 for the late medieval works.
Under the medieval outer bank was a small turf bank which contained pottery dating to 5/600BC.
Similar pottery was found in a second bank under the 14th Century military buildings inside the walls. This double-banked hillfort is unique in Guernsey.
This double walled fortress must have made the residents of the Clos du Valle feel very secure. (BBC Guernsey ref. Guernsey Museum & Galleries Service)

Castle of irregular plan on hill; roughly built with six rounded towers and a square gatehouse. Appears to be a popular refuge of 14th century character, but has no known mediaeval history. Le Patourel (1937) speaks with considerable authority on this piece of negative evidence. It is closely comparable to Grosnez, Jersey. (King 1983)

Comments (by Philip Davis)

Barton may have shown that the medieval fortification of the site to be late C15/early C16 in date (based on limited excavations), not C14 as suggested by King although, of course, the Iron Age banks and ditches would have provided some security. The C14 attacks on the islands and the ever present danger from pirates may have lead to the effort fortify the site around 1500.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Maps >
        Where's the path          
Data/Maps > 
Air Photos >
Bing Maps   Google Maps       Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts       Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, the various governments of the islands, other organisations and individuals. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Tuesday, April 18, 2017