The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

St Aubins Fort

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
St Aubyn; Islet of Sayntobyn

In the parish of St Helier.
On the Isle of Jersey.

Latitude 49.18438° Longitude -2.16166°

St Aubins Fort has been described as a certain Artillery Fort.

There are major building remains.

This site is a building or structure protected by law.


St Aubin's Fort is one of Jersey's most important fortifications. It has been remodelled and updated periodically over the past 400 years and demonstrates the development of military architecture from the Tudor period to German WWII defences.
St Aubin's Fort was begun as a gun tower in 1542 (the earliest surviving defence works in St Aubin's Bay), but was enlarged in the 1730s by adding a curtain wall with bastions and redans at the mid-points in the French manner. The tower was remodelled to form a keep; its internal structure now resembles that of a Martello and the machicoules are very similar to those on Conway towers, suggesting late 18th and early 19th century modifications. A later addition was the traversing platform with embrasure at the top of the tower, and a vaulted magazine in the ward below. The Pier was rebuilt between 1680-1700 and the wharf quay completed about 1800. During the German Occupation, various concrete anti aircraft and sea defences were constructed including a Strong Point near the North West Bastion. (State of Jersey HER)

Henry VIII artillery-tower on rocky islet; D-shaped, of one storey; built 1542. Later out-works, from the Civil War onwards. Surprised 1643; abandoned 1651. (King 1983)

Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Maps >
        Where's the path          
Data/Maps > 
Air Photos >
Bing Maps   Google Maps       Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts       Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, the various governments of the islands, other organisations and individuals. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Tuesday, April 18, 2017