GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Rycote House

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ricott

In the civil parish of Great Haseley.
In the historic county of Oxfordshire.
Modern Authority of Oxfordshire.
1974 county of Oxfordshire.
Medieval County of Oxfordshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP6667704714
Latitude 51.73741° Longitude -1.03546°

Rycote House has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a probable Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.

Description

Large house. Early C16 (part possibly earlier) and C20. Brick with stone dressings; limestone rubble; old plain-tile roof with brick stacks. 3 ranges around a courtyard. Entrance front of right wing (main house), of 2 storeys plus attics in diaper brickwork with stone plinth, has 4-centre arched doorway with label, 2-light stone mullioned window to right (possibly re-set) and, above it, a 3-light mullioned window with label. Both windows have concave-moulded 4-centre arched lights with recessed spandrels and leaded lights. To left of door is a C20 sash with 2 more at first floor. Small C20 roof dormers. To right is a small contemporary 3-storey projecting wing with a 4-centre arched door in the angle, stone quoins, stepped gable with moulded copings and, at second floor, a corbelled chimney projection with a tall octagonal brick gable stack. The remainder of the range to left is probably largely rebuilt and is masked by a parallel C20 range of 4 windows in rubble with brick dressings. 3-window return front to right, in diaper brickwork with crenellated parapet and stepped gable of main range, has similar stone-mullioned windows with labels, the largest, of 5 lights, in the gable. Garden front at rear of range, in diaper brickwork with, deep early C18 plaster cove, has 3-window arrangement of sashes with tripartite sash to right of central door, all under renewed gauged brick flat arches. Immediately to left of door is a restored 2-light mullioned window with a single light above. To extreme right is a brick buttress with a stone bracket and ogee canopy and, beyond, a rebuilt 2-window section incorporating a 2-storey canted bay window and a 3-light stone-mullioned window. The 2-storey rubble central range has an irregular 7-window front with renewed casements. Similar 6-window range to left of courtyard includes a 3-light stone-mullioned window with leaded lights, and the remains of 3 small oak-framed windows at first floor. Gable wall has segmental-arched carriage door under a weatherboarded gable. Left end of centre range has a timber-framed gable with herringbone brick infill, and right end is enclosed by a small courtyard with walls of diaper brickwork incorporating re-set features. Interior: Main range has some coffered ceilings, a timber-framed partition including remains of 3 door frames with moulded chamfer stops, a 4-centre arched doorway with original door and hinge, and a butt-purlin roof. Other ranges have early clasped-purlin roofs of about 10 bays (centre) and 7 bays (left) with heavy curved struts rising from the framed lower collar to upper purlin, and with curved windbraces. The buildings formed part of the mansion probably re-built after 1521 by Sir John Heron, Treasurer to Henry VIII, and/or after 1539 by Sir John Williams (later Baron Williams of Thame), and are shown to the left and forward of the main house in views of c.1695 by Winstanley, marked "stables", and of 1714 by Kip. The main house was burned down in 1745. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤