GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Coughton Court

In the civil parish of Coughton.
In the historic county of Warwickshire.
Modern Authority of Warwickshire.
1974 county of Warwickshire.
Medieval County of Warwickshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP08296060
Latitude 52.24353° Longitude -1.87971°

Coughton Court has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.

Description

Country house, Gatehouse late C15, and after 1518; early and late C16; late C17 additions; west front remodelled 1780; additions and remodelling of 1835 (VCH). Limestone ashlar gatehouse. Timber framed with lath and plaster infill; brick; imitation stone render. Tile and lead roofs; brick stacks, U-plan, formerly courtyard. 2 and 3 storeys; 13-window range. Entrance (west) front symmetrical. 3 storey central gatehouse range has moulded plinth and double string course. Square ground floor with corner turrets. C19 Gothic panelled part-glazed double-leaf doors in 4-centred moulded arch with square head, hood mould and carved spandrels. Stone mullioned and transomed windows with arched lights throughout. Upper floors of different coloured stone. 2-storey canted oriel with flanking lights and glazed octagonal turrets; 2 transoms on first floor, one on second. Shield of arms on each floor. Turrets continued up another floor'; left turret unglazed. Remainder 2 storeys only. Single 5-light window with transom and hood mould. Clasping buttresses with quatrefoil panels projecting above roof. Crenellated parapets with string course throughout. Remainder of front of ' scored imitation ashlar with stucco hood moulds. Ground floor has leaded 2-light casements, 3 slightly recessed bays have Gothick sashes and moulded surrounds on first floor. Projecting end bays with clasping buttresses. First floor: leaded cross windows. String course above first floor. Attic with quatrefoil panels, some part glazed. String course and crenellated parapet. Right return side of thin bricks. Two C17 shaped gables with stone coping. Left gable between 2 external brick stacks; right gable has ball finials. 5-window range, mostly C17 stone cross windows. Narrow gabled wing set back. High single-storey range with early C20 window, and plaster eaves cove. East front of gatehouse has unglazed turrets and inscription over entrance. Irregular ranges to courtyard. Timber framed with brick ground floor. Corresponding small 4-centred door. Irregular fenestration with moulded stone mullioned windows ground floor, wood mullions and casements above; some with transoms. 2 storey south range has close studding with middle rail. Left section breaks forward and has 4 framed gables with brackets. Entrance in recessed bay below third gable has 4-centred moulded doorway with square head, hood mould and carved spandrels. Paired 6-panelled doors with Gothick overlight. Right section has 2 large gables, and another behind and above in roof, with decorative panel framing. Elaborately carved scrolled bargeboards with finials and openwork pendants. End wall has gable. Ground floor has 2 stone cross windows with arched lights. Blocked arches above and in centre. 2-storey and attic north range. Close studding. 3 large framed gables and smaller end gable all with casements and brackets. Ground floor has four 3-light mullioned and transomed windows. First floor projects on plaster cove. Blank gabled end wall. Left return side: range of c.1690. Scored render with quoins. 3 projecting bays with hipped roofs. 4-centred doorway. Slightly projecting first floor. Irregular fenestration with wood mullioned and transomed windows. Interior: Entrance Hall with plaster fan vault. Late C18 open well cantilevered staircase with moulded soffit and simple handrail; Gothick plasterwork cornice. Drawing Room has simple early C16 stone fireplace. Windows with C16, C17 and C19 armorial glass. Gothick plasterwork cornice. 6-panelled doors. Little Drawing Room has C18 style carved wooden fireplace. Newel staircase to roof. Tower Room has moulded 4-centred fireplace with carved spandrels and projecting top. Two 4-centred doorways. North east turret has 2 hiding places. Dining Room and Tribune have fine C16 panelling possibly with later work, turned balusters, grotesques and medallions with heads. Fine marble chimneypiece with paired Ionic and Corinthian columns, cartouche and coat of arms, Saloon, formed 1910, has arcaded panelled screen c.1660 (VCH) to Tribune.
C16 double-flight staircase from Harvington hall with heavy turned balusters and square newel posts with finials. Study has fine C17 panelling with pilasters. Ground floor with broad-chamfered ceiling beams. North range has part of a fine C16 panelled timber cieling with moulded ribs and carved bosses. Dog-leg staircase with C17 turned balusters. The Throckmortons were Catholics, and were deeply involved in the Throckmorton plot of 1583. In 1605 the wives of the Gunpowder Plotters awaited news at Coughton. In 1688 the east wing was destroyed by a Protestant mob, and was finally cleared away in 1780. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤