GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Southwold Higham Bulwark

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Hiham Bulwark; Fort Sussex

In the civil parish of Southwold.
In the historic county of Suffolk.
Modern Authority of Suffolk.
1974 county of Suffolk.
Medieval County of Suffolk.

OS Map Grid Reference: TM509769
Latitude 52.33345° Longitude 1.68256°

Southwold Higham Bulwark has been described as a probable Artillery Fort.

There are no visible remains.

Description

During the invasion scare of 1588, Southwold was defended by an earthen wall constructed along the cliff, with a 2-gun battery on Gun Hill, and a battery at the north end called the Higham Bulwark, just south of the present boating lake. The defences were ruinous in 1626 when a privateer captured a ship in full view of the town, drove the gun crews from the battery and bombarded the town. (PastScape)

Fort Sussex?–Large moated fort of triangular plan with large quadrangular corner bastions shown on map of 1588(?). Shown as being probably situated in area of present Boating Lake just north of Southwold. According to Eversley (school) boys project on Southwold, the fort was planned as a precaution against the Spanish Armada in 1588 but was never actually built although the source of this information is unknown. The area is marked 'brickfield' on OS 1st edition map, and later as 'boating lake' but the N side and parish boundary, both follow a sharp angular course reflecting part of the fort plan of 1588. (Suffolk HER)
Comments

It would seem these defences were started, although it would they may not have been finished. The Fort Sussex name is tentatively given the northern fort by the Suffolk HER - presumably named for the Henry Radclyffe, Earl of Sussex, who was a prime figure in the Armada defenses. A marked kink in the northern parish boundary and course of an waterway is ravelin shaped, in the right location and is suggested as a relic of the forts plan in the Suffolk HER.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤