GATEHOUSE
The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
 
 
Home
The listings
Other Info
Books
Links
Downloads
Contact
 
Print Page 
 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Wall, Herefordshire

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Walle

In the historic county of Herefordshire.
Modern Authority of Herefordshire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Herefordshire.

Wall, Herefordshire has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.

Description

Licence to crenellate was granted to William Galeys (sic) in 1329. (Emery 2000)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1329 Jan 25 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).

Comments

Gatehouse can find no reference to a William Galeys, There are numerous possible Wall place-names such as Walford or Craswall. In Parker the name is spelt 'le Caleys'. Unfortunately the suffix 'de Caleys' (of Calais) is rather commonly used. There does seem to be some association between the Mortimers of Wigmore and the 'de Galeys' (A Philip de Galeys was abbot at Wigmore abbey), so perhaps a site in Walford parish.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
                 
Maps >
                   
Data/Maps > 
                Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
                   
Photos >
CastleFacts       Flickr          

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated before 1 February 2016

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact
¤¤¤¤¤