The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Conington Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Connington; Cunyngton

In the civil parish of Conington.
In the historic county of Huntingdonshire.
Modern Authority of Cambridgeshire.
1974 county of Cambridgeshire.
Medieval County of Huntingdonshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL17968583
Latitude 52.45778° Longitude -0.26493°

Conington Castle has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are no visible remains.


Site of Conington Castle, a three storey, stone-built house which was demolished in 1953. The house was roughly L-shaped in plan, with wings to the south and east. The south wing was probably mid 16th century in date, while the east wing was added in the early 17th century, possibly incorporating stone from Fotheringay or Maxey Castles. The house had fallen into ruin by the beginning of the 18th century and was partially demolished and converted into a farmhouse. Restoration work was carried out in 1800 and again in 1840. (PastScape)

Cunnington, holden anciently of the Honour of Huntingdon: where within a foure square trench are to be seene exprese remains of an ancient castle, which, as also Saltrie, was by the gift of Canutus the seat of Turkill, that Dane who abode heere among the East English and sent for Sueno King of Denmarke to make spoile of England. After whose departure, Waldeof the sonne of Siward Earle of Northumberland enjoied it, who married Judith niece to William the Conqueror by his sister on the mothers side: by whose eldest daughter it came to the royall family of Scotland. For she, by a second marriage, matched with David Earle of Huntingdon (who afterwards obtained the Kingdome of Scotland), being the younger sonne of Malcolm Can-mor King of Scots, and of Margaret his wife, descended of the royall line of the English Saxons. For she was niece to King Edmond Iron-side by his sonne Edward surnamed The Banished. David had a sonne named Henrie, and Henrie had another named David Earle of Huntingdon, by one of whose daughters, Isabell, Cunnington and other lands by right of marriage descended to Sir Robert Bruse: from whose eldest sonne Robert, surnamed the Noble, James King of Great Britaine lineally deriveth his descent; and from Bernard his younger sonne, unto whom this Cunnington with Exton fell, Sir Robert Cotton Knight is lineally descended; who over and beside other vertues, being a singular lover and sercher of antiquities, having gathered with great charges from all places the monuments of venerable antiquitie (Camden)

It was the principal mansion of the Cotton Family, built mostly by Sir Robert early in the C17 although had parts dating from mid C16 and possibly of earlier origin. Camden mention of a moat (four square trench) seems genuine but the history given to him by Cotton seems fanciful.
NB In modern Cambridgeshire there are two villages called Conington, both associated with the Cotton family.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact