The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Castel de Lecq

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Le Câtel de Lecq

In the parish of St Mary.
On the Isle of Jersey.

Latitude 49.24786° Longitude -2.19818°

Castel de Lecq has been described as a Timber Castle although is doubtful that it was such.

There are earthwork remains.

This site is a archaeological monument protected by law.


On the east of the bay is the Castel de Lecq, a mound 270 feet high, artificially contrived upon native granite, which bears obvious traces of ancient entrenchments. Until proper excavations have been made, it is impossible to date these; but they probably belong to the Late Iron Age, when many similar promontory forts were made in Cornwall and Brittany, and along our north coast.
Some experts think this one is later, even perhaps mediaeval. They may, however, have remained in use as late as the 15th century, for Diaz da Gomez, who accompanied Pero Nino in his raid of 1406, says that there were then "five fortified castles" in the island. Three of of these would be Mont Orgueil, Grosnez, and Chastel Sedement. It is difficult to guess what the others could have been, unless they were the Castel de Lecq and the similar Castel at Rozel. (Balleine 1951)

Two concentric banks and ditches suggest the site of an Iron Age fort though the site is unexcavated. (

Le Câtel de Lecq is one of the best-preserved defensive earthworks in Jersey and is a prehistoric monument of outstanding importance to the archaeological heritage of Jersey. Significance includes C18 fort.
Historic interest Defensive Earthwork of Iron Age origins (c800BC) with 18th century Fort. Smaller earthworks on the top of the hill, consisting of large holes and ditches, may date from the Second World War, when the German occupying forces utilised such sites for defensive works.
The evolution of the site as a defensive stronghold continued into more recent history with the building of Le Câtel Fort on its western slopes in the 18th century. In response to the threat of French invasion, the Governor, General Sir Henry Seymour Conway, recommended a Maison de Garde and Magazin to help defend Grève de Lecq Bay - the fort being duly constructed in 1779. The fort comprises a gun battery with guardhouse and magazine. The guardhouse is single storey, the walls of rubble granite with stone dressings and dressed stone chimneystack, defensive loopholes in the gable and front wall, and projecting stub walls offering additional protection to the doorway. Flanking the site are screen walls with loopholes for muskets, to defend the position from inland attack. On the seaward side are traversing gun platforms with granite mounting posts for the guns to defend the landing places in the bay below. There is also a stone-roofed outwork or caponnière to defend the gateway in the screen wall. (State of Jersey HER)

Comments (by Philip Davis)

Pre-historic fortification which could have been used as a popular refuge for the islanders, who were vulnerable to pirate raids, at any date but it does not seem likely that any significant work was done in the medieval period to even maintain the earthwork defences, let alone improve these.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Maps >
        Where's the path          
Data/Maps > 
Air Photos >
Bing Maps   Google Maps       Flashearth      
Photos >
CastleFacts       Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of English Heritage, the various governments of the islands, other organisations and individuals. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated on Tuesday, April 18, 2017