The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Burneside Hall, Strickland Roger

In the civil parish of Strickland Roger.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD50969592
Latitude 54.35657° Longitude -2.75584°

Burneside Hall, Strickland Roger has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Burnside Hall is a small C14 fortified dwelling with a pele tower, gatehouse, part of the original curtain wall and traces of ancient cattle enclosure north of the house. The 3 storey pele tower, now ruined, forms the north wing; the south wing, originally 3 storey and battlemented, was lowered and reroofed in C18. Attached to the gatehouse on the north side is a small part of the original curtain wall with steps to the parapet walk. (listed building report, 1951). Originally a hall with cross-wings; solar block to north (now ruined) is in a form of a tower (listed building report, 1984). (PastScape)

Burneside Hall (Plates 154, 155), house and gatehouse at the S. end of the parish. The House is partly of two and partly of three storeys; the walls are of rubble and the roofs are slate-covered. The manor belonged to the Burneshead and Bellingham families till the 16th century. The house was built in the 14th century with a central hall and cross-wings at the N. and S. ends; the N. cross-wing formed a tower. Machell's drawing of c. 1692 shows both cross wings of three storeys and embattled and the main block with a doorway at the first floor level. In the 18th century the S. cross-wing was reduced in height and re-roofed and the tower-wing fell into ruin.
The house is an interesting example of a defensive dwelling of the 14th century with a gatehouse and walled enclosure for cattle.
The W. front of the hall-block has on the ground-floor an early 17th-century window of three transomed lights with a moulded label; the other openings are later. On the first floor are two original windows of three trefoiled and transomed lights; farther S. is a third window of the same date, of two trefoiled lights. The E. side of the hall-block has a large projecting chimney-stack with offsets. The tower or N. wing is of three storeys and retains a number of original looplights; other openings have either been enlarged or are mere gaps in the wall. In the N. wall is a doorway with a rough two-centred head and on this side is a low offset perhaps to take the springing of the barrel-vault of an adjoining structure, now demolished. The upper part of the tower is ruined but there are remains of the parapet at the E. end. The S. cross-wing retains an original window, in the E. end, of two trefoiled lights; at the back of the W. block of this wing is a chimney-stack with four 17th-century diagonal shafts. Inside the building are some exposed ceiling-beams. The hall-block has, in the N. wall, two original doorways with chamfered jambs and two-centred heads; the adjoining 17th-century fireplace probably replaces two further original doorways. In the E. wall is another original doorway of the same character; the large fireplace in the same wall has a small cupboard with a panelled door and a seat with a panelled back, both of the 17th century. On the first floor is the screen (Plate 59) of c. 1600 of the old hall; it is three panels high with a range of frieze-panels; two bays formed doorways and one of these has a panelled 17th-century door. The tower has two chambers and a passage on the ground floor, all with rubble barrel-vaults. At the E. end are a garde-robe projection and a circular staircase. In the upper floors are remains of large fireplaces, with segmental heads. The middle room on the first floor of the S. wing has remains of a plaster ceiling (Plate 49) of c. 1600; it has a series of quatre-foiled panels with moulded ribs and filled with vine-sprays. The early 18th-century staircase has turned balusters and square newels.
The Gatehouse, 25 yards W. of the house, is a rubble building of two storeys. It was built probably late in the 16th or early in the 17th century and has on either front a round-headed archway; between the arches is hung a door of two leaves with a wicket and strap-hinges. Some original windows remain in the upper storey. Adjoining the N. wall of the gatehouse is a short length of the curtain-wall, formerly enclosing a courtyard; the curtain had a parapet-walk approached by the external staircase N. of the gatehouse. There are traces of a former enclosure on the N. side of the house.
Condition—Good, except tower which is ruined and ivy-grown. (RCHME 1936)

Massive two-leaved oak studded door with dog gate and strap-hinges possibly original.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact