The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Brougham Hall

In the civil parish of Brougham.
In the historic county of Westmorland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Westmorland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY527283
Latitude 54.64795° Longitude -2.73285°

Brougham Hall has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House, and also as a Pele Tower although is doubtful that it was such.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Brougham Hall, immediately S. of Chapel of St. Wilfrid, was largely re-built in the first half of the last century by Lord Brougham. This house was demolished in 1934, but adjoining the road on the N. of the site is a two-storeyed range of rubble outbuildings, probably of 17th-century origin. The adjoining gateway has an elliptical head and is fitted with a panelled and nail-studded door with a wicket. Inside the building, one room has a segmental barrel-vault and on the upper floor is some early 17th-century panelling. The E. end of the stables incorporates seven Roman inscribed stones (Plate 4). (RCHME 1936)

Attempts have been made to assign a very early date to this Hall, affirming that the gateway is of the early Norman period, and that it possessed a private chapel as early as 1393. But when in 1691 Thomas, lord Tufton, demolished Brougham castle in order to rebuild Appleby castle, James Bird was his steward and it is quite possible that he removed one of the gateways and rebuilt it up as the entrance to his own Hall. The chapel, as we have seen already, was the parish chapel of ease and not a private one.
When the Lady Anne was founding her Hospital at Appleby she endowed it with one-third of the manor of Brougham, which included a mansion house and lands round about it known as Brougham Hall, which she purchased from James Browne.
On the death of James Bird, or of his son William, the male issue ceased, and shortly after John Brougham of Scales in Cumberland was enabled to purchase back the whole manor and Hall of his ancestors. He entailed the estate upon his four nephews, viz.:— Henry Richmond and John, sons of his brother Peter, and John and Henry, sons of his brother Samuel. From the last named Henry the estate has descended.
In 1829 Lord Chancellor Brougham almost entirely rebuilt the Hall and it has undergone several modifications since. (Curwen 1932)

Brougham Hall was largely rebuilt in the early 19th century and demolished in 1934. North of the site is a range of outbuildings, probably 17th century. An adjoining gateway has an elliptical head and is fitted with a nail-studded door with a wicket. The east end of the stables incorporated seven Roman stones now in Brougham Castle Gatehouse (RCHME 1936).
Ruins of Brougham Hall and outer buildings, Grade 2star. Ruins of hall, billiard room, coach archway and cellars beneath. Early C19, incorporating part of the earlier hall, by L.N. Cottingham for Lord Brougham; partly demolished in 1934. Mixed sandstone rubble walls with ashlar dressings, without roofs. U-shaped buildings on 3 sides of courtyard. Of the hall range little remains except the cellars and a few courses of stonework, originally covered by demolition rubble but now (1986) being cleared and excavated for public exhibition. Parts of the stonework show where canted bay windows were and a small medieval rectangular tower or turret.
Curtain walls, gateways and associated buildings with integral stables and domestic ranges. Grade 2star. Partly late C15 or early C16 with C17 additions; unifying early C19 alterations and additions by L.N. Cottingham for Lord Brougham, partly demolished 1934. Walls of mixed sandstone rubble with C19 battlemented parapets, without roofs. U-shaped wall, part of which was totally demolished (but being rebuilt in 1986 in similar materials) with a left inner C19 gateway, near which is an external C17 gateway and central early C19 2-storey, square gate tower. Inside the wall beside the C17 gateway is a guardhouse under parapet walk. Between the gateways is a 2-storey, 3-bay late C15 or early C16 range. Beyond the gate tower are the ruins of C19 stables and domestic ranges (Listed Building Reports). (PastScape)

Defensible site of C13-C16 Hall, largely rebuilt in C19, with C17 outbuildings. Was in ruins but being restored. Perriam and Robinson suggests a licence to crenellate granted to Ricardus de Brun probably refers to the Hall rather than the Clifford held Castle; however Gatehouse can only assume this supposed licence must be the 1307 licence for Drombogh since the damaged mandate to make a licence for Brouham in 1309 can not be attributed to Ricardus de Brun. No association between de Brun and Brougham has been established, although a James Browne sold the hall in the C17. Few remains of medieval fortifications. This was an important Victorian house (one of several 'Windsors of the North' although this modest hall certainly does not deserve that label) and clearly a site that has been restored to look fortified, and some 'history' of the site may be invented. The surviving bits of in situ work do not look defensive but this far north it is probably the curtain wall is original (even if it's crenellations are not).
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact