The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Tretower Castle

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Stratdewy; Ystrad Yw; Stratewy; Straddewy

In the community of Llanfihangel Cwmdu With Bwlch And Cathedine.
In the historic county of Brecknockshire.
Modern authority of Powys.
Preserved county of Powys.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO18462126
Latitude 51.88388° Longitude -3.18613°

Tretower Castle has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are major building remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


An early motte and bailey castle underlie the fabric of the mainly mid twelfth to early thirteenth centuries castle at Tretower.Replaced as a residence by nearby Tretower Court (NPRN 16305) from about 1300, it was still largely intact in the early sixteenth century. The surviving remains are of rubble sandstone and consist of a circular tower and the remains of a shell keep. The three storey tower with basement dominates - it has an entrance on the northern side at first floor level. The fireplace on the northwestern side on the first floor has moulded and scalloped corbels whilst a similar fireplace on the second floor has fine slab seats. The remains of the gatehouse are to the east of the keep and the kitchen and first-floor hall are to its south. The the solar is to its west. (Source CADW listed buildings description). (Coflein)

Ditched motte topped by a masonry tower surrounded by a shell keep with bailey (mostly destroyed by farm buildings in northern part) adjoining to east. Geophysical survey 1992 revealed several anomalies of possible archaeological interest although interpretation has been complicated by modern disturbance. The first castle was built by Picard, one of the Norman conquerors, presumably in wood but with a stone revetted motte. The castle was rebuilt in stone by Roger, the son of Picard, who constructed a stone shell keep and a high stone wall incorporating a gatehouse in 1150. Buildings included a small hall, a solar and a kitchen. During the 13th century the bailey was protected by a stone wall with rounded corner towers. The internal buildings were demolished and the windows blocked to form a curtain wall within which was erected a tall round tower with an entrance on the first floor. There were three floors and a basement with one room on each floor. The castle was finally abandoned in the 14th century when the new court was built nearby although it was refortified in the early 15th century during the rebellion of Owain Glyndwr. (Burnham, H 1995, 162-4). (Clwyd Powys Archaeological Trust HER)

Established c1100 by Picard, a follower of Bernard de Neufmarche who had seized the upper part of the Usk valley. The site, close to the Rhiangoll brook, enabled it to be defended by a wet moat and by natural marshy ground. The earliest defences probably consisted of a motte and bailey with stone revetment to the mound, and timber palisades. The timber defences were replaced, probably mid C12 by Picard's son, Roger Picard I, with a stone shell keep comprising gatehouse, hall and solar. These are said to have been partly removed 1230-1240 by his great-grandson Roger Picard II, who erected a tall circular keep, raised the outer walls of the shell keep to create a wall walk, and raised stone walls around the bailey with round towers at the angles. The castle continued as a garrison throughout the C14, being held by Sir James Berkeley against Owain Glyndwr in 1403. A 4-storey building was erected on the NW side of the mound C14, probably to provide quarters for the garrison, and a large fireplace was inserted into the basement of the solar. During or after the middle ages it became ruinous and by C18 farm buildings had been built inside the bailey, probably using stone from the bailey walls. The Castle was purchased for the nation in 1947, subsequent to which extensive conservation work continued until the 1960s.
Ruined medieval castle of rubble sandstone consisting of a circular tower on a motte surrounded by remnants of the shell keep, comprising gatehouse, kitchen and hall, and solar, on top of which are remains of a wall walk. The tower dominates and is of 3 stages with basement. The wall is 9ft thick and battered at the base, the top of the batter marked by a string course. The basement is lit by 2 loops with very deep splays. The entrance to the tower was at first-floor level on the N side, where creasing of a former gable is visible. Dressings of the doorway survive only inside and consist of a 2-centred arch with stop-chamfer moulding. Within the wall thickness is a mural stair to the second floor. Internally, the NW side of the first floor has a large fireplace with a raked ashlar hood on moulded corbels flanked by scalloped corbels. A window with 2-centred head on SE side has remains of benches in the reveals, while a similar window to S has within its reveal an entrance to a mural stair to the basement. The doorway on 2nd floor is on E side and has a 2-centred head with stop-chamfer surround. The second floor has a fireplace similar to first floor and 2 windows with fine slab seats in the reveals and segmental rere arches with stop-chamfer surrounds. From the reveal of the window in the W side is a short tunnel-vaulted passage leading to an external doorway under a 2-centred arch, giving access to a former wooden bridge which led to the curtain wall walk. The creasing of the gable of the bridge is visible on the external face. A mural stair to the upper storey is lit by 2 narrow lancets. In the slightly narrower upper stage are 2-centred windows to NE and W with segmental, stop-chamfer rere-arches and remains of stone seats. In the E side is a doorway with segmental head. The former gatehouse is on E side of shell keep and survives only at ground level. Within the gateway is a pit over which the drawbridge would have been lowered. On the inner side of the gateway the rebates of the former gate survive, while on N side are jambs of a stairway which led to curtain wall walk. The kitchen and first-floor hall are on S side of shell keep, and have a canted projection, battered at the base, from the line of the curtain wall and solar. The kitchen has an external stack which tapers above a string course defining the roof line of the C12 hall which was then heightened mid C13 to create a wall walk. Internally the kitchen has a semi-circular fireplace flanked by small round-headed windows with deep splays. The N wall of the kitchen is a later addition of C13 and has a doorway with a 2-centred head. Immediately W of the projection is a round-headed doorway leading to a blocked former stairway to hall, which has one stair light blocked and another ruinous. Above the stairway are 2 blocked round-headed windows, both having rere arches with heavy roll mouldings, of which the larger E window lit the hall, the smaller W window the solar. Above the windows is the string course and former wall walk. The solar is on W side of shell keep and is at first-floor level, having a basement with battered wall beneath. The SW corner of the solar collapsed in 1947 but contained a newel stair from the basement possibly added C13 to wall walk. The solar W wall has an external stack carried up above original roof line and blocked off by an offset against the C13 parapet, one loop of which survives. On S side of stack is a blocked round-headed window with segmental rere arch. At basement level 2 blocked openings or recesses are visible internally, and in SW corner is an oven inserted C14. The solar fireplace is blocked but has plain jambs and segmental arch. On the N and NE sides the curtain wall survives only partially at low level. The bailey is triangular in plan, with castle to W and ruins of round towers at N and E angles. Between the keep and E tower the wall survives at low level and crosses a moat (with round-headed culvert). The wall has battered buttresses. The E tower survives at low level but has a segmental pointed doorway to bailey. The flanking bailey walls are higher at this point. Between the keep and N tower the wall is not continuous, a short length of wall having been added mid C20 from the keep. The remainder of the wall stands at high level and has lean-to farm buildings to the inner side. The section between N and E towers is mostly missing and occupied by farm buildings. (Listed Building Report)

Consists of a motte and bailey which were built during the Norman conquest of Brycheiniog. In C12 the wooden buildings were replaced in stone. A shell keep was built around 1150, a hall and solar were erected to the south-west side of the motte and a kitchen was built at a slightly lower level. In the early C13 the inner walls of this range were demolished and a round tower was built. Today it is this tower which dominates the castle site. The tower has three storeys each with a single room with a fireplace and a window. The foundations of the tower contain a basement. Within the curtain wall of the castle are the remains of a small, rectangular gatehouse. (Earwood and Townsend)

The round tower surrounded at an uncomfortably close and substantial curtain wall looks most odd. However, when one realises that many tall mottes had full height vertical revetments, usually of timber but occasionally of stone (eg Farnham) this castle would have looked much more like a stone version of many timber castles with a tower on top of a vertical sided 'motte'.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 20/04/2017 04:36:53