The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Alisby Castle, Crickhowell

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Crucywel; Crug Hywel

In the community of Crickhowell.
In the historic county of Brecknockshire.
Modern authority of Powys.
Preserved county of Powys.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO21751825
Latitude 51.85754° Longitude -3.13751°

Alisby Castle, Crickhowell has been described as a certain Timber Castle, and also as a certain Masonry Castle.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


The original Norman motte and bailey at Crickhowell was re-fortified with stone in the late C13 to early C14. Traces of a shell keep have been noted about the summit of an oval-shaped motte that is approximately 60m x 46m and 8m high. There are remains of a twin-towered gatehouse at its foot that opened onto a scarped forecourt, about 70m east-west and 16m deep, which has the ruins of two conjoined towers on the east. The court was set into a large bailey, about 90m by 64m across, its south and west sides followed by Castle Road. The Buck Brothers' view of 1741 shows that the bailey was originally walled, with at least three semi-circular towers. The castle was disused by the fifteenth century and subsequently pillaged for stone. (Coflein)

Situated to the SE of the High Street in Recreation Ground between Castle Road and Beaufort Street. The Castle, known as Alisby's Castle after Gerald Alisby the early to mid C14 governor, was formerly of Norman motte and bailey type. Rebuilt in late C13/early C14 by Sir Grimbald Pauncefote, disused in C15 and much pillaged since for local building. The masonry remains include an engaged round and rectangular random coursed rubble tower; crenellated parapet, narrow openings and early C14 ogee lancets with worn cusping. Various splayed openings to 3-storey and basement inner faces, fireplace at 1st floor level. View of 1893 shows the tower in more complete state. Part of the former circular gate tower to the motte remains in the slope to NW. (Listed Building Report)

The monument consists of the remains of a castle, dating to the medieval period. The castle, also known as Alisby's castle occupies a vantage point with commanding views along the Usk valley. It originated as a Motte, measuring 60m in diameter and 8m high, and Bailey with timber buildings, probably built by the Turberville family in the 12th century. In 1272 it was rebuilt in stone by Sir Grimbald Pauncefote who married a Turberville heiress. On the summit of the motte a stone shell keep was built, traces of which can still be seen, while the base of the motte was enclosed by a defensive wall with two D-shaped towers on the southern side. The bailey, measuring around 90m by 65m, was enclosed by a curtain wall. A print by Samuel and Nathaniel Buck from 1741 shows the curtain wall with at least 3 round towers along the bailey wall. On the SE side of the Bailey a conjoined double tower was built, comprising one round and one square tower, with crenellations surmounting the top of the square tower. The remains of a further tower were identified during the excavation of a service trench on the W side of the bailey. During the 14th century the castle was refortified by Sir John Pauncefote, great-grandson of Sir Grimbald, following royal command, but it was nonetheless unable to withstand attack from Owain Glyndwr's forces who left it in ruins. The castle was never repaired and was uninhabited by the mid-16th century. The remains of the motte and D-shaped towers, together with the substantial remains of the conjoined towers, still stand on the site, while the bailey area is now occupied by a playground. (Scheduling Report)

The complete lack of remains of the shell keep suggest this was earlier and built with a less good mortar than gatehouse. The gatehouse has had some walls demolished, from the base, in a way which will have allowed access to the valuable, imbedded, large timber floor joists but having got these it does not appear as though it was worth the effort to complete the demolition.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
Coflein   County HER   Scheduling   Listing    
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   Historic Wales   V. O. B.   Geology   LIDAR  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of the Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historic Monuments of Wales, the four welsh archaeological trusts and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain Designated Historic Asset Descriptive Information from The Welsh Historic Environment Service (Cadw), licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown.
Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Lidar coverage in the UK is not complete. The button above will give an idea of the area of coverage. Higher resolution lidar images in both DSM and DTM form may be available from Lle A geo-Portal for Wales (click the preview tag to bring up a map and then select format byclicking on the small blue diamond in the top right corner of the map.)
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of the described site.

This record last updated 20/04/2017 04:44:05