The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 
In 1307 Aug 24, Robertus de Tylliol (Sir Robert de Tylliol; Robert de Tilliol) was granted, by Edward II, (In year 1 of his reign) a Royal licence to crenellate Scaleby (Scaleby Castle)
Licence to Robert de Tylliol to crenellate his dwelling-house of Scaleby, Co. Cumberland, in the Marches of Scotland. By p.s. (CPR)

Robertus de Tylliol ... mansum suum ... Scaleby in marchia Scotiae, Cumbr. (Turner and Parker)

Granted at Cumnock. Grant by privy seal.


One of three licences of this date given to lords in Cumberland shortly after Edward I death at Burgh-by-Sands on 7 July, this effectively marked the end of this Scottish campaign. Licence given as a reward and possibly as a preparation against a Scottish counter-campaign.

Original source is;

(In fact, the original source given is usually a transcription/translation of what are precious medieval documents not readily availably. It should be noted that these transcription/translations often date to the nineteenth or early twentieth centuries and that unwitting bias of transcribers may affect the translation. Care should also be taken to avoid giving modern meaning to the medieval use of certain stock words and terms. Licentia is best translated as 'freedom to' not 'permission'.)

Significant later sources are;

Robert de Tylliol
A minor local knightly family. Gatehouse can find scant biographical details of Robert and little mention of the family, which apparently died out in the C15. Robert was the second husband of Maud de Lascelles, whom he married in 1292. Maud have previously been married to Sir William de Hilton (The arms of Sir Peter Tilliol appear on Hilton Castle), who was of baronial status; she was a part heiress to her father, Lord Roger Lascelles. He had died in 1300 so this inheritance may have funded Scaleby, but the existing 'more defensive structure than most' (Emery, 1996, p. 246) dates from the mid C14. Based on the existing remains it is possible that here a licence was obtained without much immediate intent to build but something did stand here before the tower as it was recorded as destroyed by the Scots in 1346 and 1348.

More information about licences to crenellate can be found here.

Please do inform Gatehouse if you see any errors, can add information or can otherwise help to improve this resource. Please contact Gatehouse.

Record created by Philip Davis. This record last updated on Sunday, October 4, 2015.