The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Lowick Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Tower of de Lofwic

In the civil parish of Lowick.
In the historic county of Lancashire.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Lancashire North of the Sands.

OS Map Grid Reference: SD28588595
Latitude 54.26421° Longitude -3.09799°

Lowick Hall has been described as a probable Pele Tower.

There are uncertain remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


House. South wing C16 or C17 originally pele tower, one of 2; rest of house mid C18, rainwater head dated 1746; C19 porch. East elevation of 2 storeys and 5-bays, with 3-storey gabled bay to south, forming south wing. Top frieze, cornice and blacking course, stone rainwater head and downpipe; decorative bargeboards to wing. Windows have architraves and are sashed with horns; wing has 4-light chamfered-wooden-mullioned windows, with 3-light window to 2nd floor. Entrance to 4th bay has ashlar porch with paired half-glazed doors, side windows, dentilled cornice and parapet; inner 12-panel door in C18 doorcase. 3 gable-end stacks. Site of demolished pele tower to north. South elevation has varied fenestration including some mullioned windows. Large cross-axial stack with rounded shaft. North elevation has sashed windows with glazing bars to rear wing, those to 1st floor are original, with ovolo glazing bars; lateral stack. Rear has 3 gabled bays the 1st 2 projecting. Sashed windows with glazing bars, round-headed stair window has pilasters and archivolt; 3rd bay has 2-light window with leaded glazing. Entrance to 2nd bay. 2 gable-end stacks and return lateral stack. Interior: South wing has stop-chamfered beams; ground floor fireplace with inset fireplace and oven, and priest hole. Doorway with chamfered frame and spiral stair of oak baulks. 1st floor has 2 triangular-headed doorways, wide-boarded doors. Main house has doors of 6 and 2 fielded panels; fireplace with panelled pilasters and lintel with shell motif to key; open-string dog-leg stair has 2 column an vase balusters to the tread and scrolly tread ends; fielded-panel dado. 1st floor has doorways with eared architraves and pulvinated frieze and pediment; fielded panelled partitions with dado and dentilled cornice; cupboard has glazed doors, swan-neck pediment and Everard Crest. (Listed Building Report)

"The greater part of the sculpture which once ornamented the ancient but dilapidated manor-house (of Lowick) has been destroyed or removed" (Baines 1835).
"Lowick Hall was partly burnt down in 1750, only the south wing remaining. The centre portion was rebuilt on old foundations which can still be seen at the foot of the north wall. The porch was added about 1900, covering up a fine Georgian entrance. In the south wing is a large fireplace, with beside it, a Priest's Hole".
The south wing is a two-storey structure with a pebble-dash exterior and modern roof. Internally the bare stonework of the walls, which are constructed of roughly fashioned angular stones packed with rubble, would suggest them to be of considerable age (F1 ASP 29-JUL-57).
According to the SMR record, there may be the foundations of two towers in the garden. Janet Martin notes that if the newel is indicative of a pele, the pele is in a veryy position (Perriam and Robinson). (PastScape)

Lowick Hall was partly burnt down in 1750, only the S wing remaining. The centre portion was rebuilt on old foundations which are still visible in the garden and at the foot of the N wall. The present house is 17th century, 1750 and 1849. Of roughcaststone, slate roofs, T-plan. Entrance front of 2 storeys has 19th century central porch of sandstone covering a Georgian stone doorway; 4 sash windows on ground floor and 5 above with moulded sandstone architraves; stone cornice; Georgian stone drainpipe. Round-headed staircase window on gable end. 17th century portion at right angles to left of front, 2 storeys, slate roof, central round chimney, mullionedwindows, etc. Interior has original fireplace, priest hole in chimney.
According to owner the foundations of one of the two original towers is under some flowerbeds. ~ The site was visited by E. Thomson in 1978. (Lake District National Park HER)

Manor site dating back at least to time of Henry II. Report of 'a very ancient circular staircase in one part of the building which seems to have been a pele tower.' Current building has undergone several rebuilds. Listed Building record reports 'Site of demolished pele tower to north.'
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:52

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact