The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Kirkoswald College

In the civil parish of Kirkoswald.
In the historic county of Cumberland.
Modern Authority of Cumbria.
1974 county of Cumbria.
Medieval County of Cumberland.

OS Map Grid Reference: NY55464111
Latitude 54.76294° Longitude -2.69370°

Kirkoswald College has been described as a certain Pele Tower.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


House, built 1696 AD, incorporating remains of a college of secular priests, founded circa 1523 AD, dissolved 1548. However, the house probably originated as a 15th century fortified vicarage, it containing a four-storeyed tower of 15th century date. (PastScape)

House, formerly College of Vicars. Late C15 tower house, extended 1523 for Thomas Lord Dacre (his coat of arms over a now internal door and repositioned panel of arms over fireplace in hall), alterations of c1633-1641 for Sir Timothy Fetherstonhaugh, further additions dated 1696 with initials T.F.(&)B.F. (Timothy & Bridget Fetherstonhaugh) over entrance and additions of 1838-1843 by Timothy Fetherstonhaugh. Dressed and rubble red sandstone walls, (1696 walls partly of stone from Kirkoswald Castle), with ashlar quoins to facade; graduated hipped sandstone slate roof; ashlar ridge chimney stacks to front, with C19 candlestick chimney stacks to rear. 2 storeys, 9 bays to principal facade. Front has recessed central 5 bays, with projecting flanking bays. Double 6-panel doors in moulded architrave, console bracketed cornice, swan-neck pediment with inscription and Fetherstonhaugh coat of arms. Replacement sash windows with glazing bars in moulded stone architraves; ground floor windows with moulded cornices and upper floor central bays with pulvinated friezes. Principal feature of rear is C15 tower house, centre right, of originally 4 storeys; canted bay windows 3 storeys high have replacement sash windows with glazing bars. Tower of similar proportions (but thinner walls) to left centre is probably C16, 3 storeys; ground floor 2-light mullioned window, high round-headed attic opening, all other windows are sashes with glazing bars. Extension to right of 1 storeys, 3 bays is dated MDCCCXLII; mullioned casement windows with hood moulds to ground floor; gabled dormer windows (below eaves). C19 extension to left of 3 bays, was originally single storey increased to 2 storeys in mid or late C19; sash windows with glazing bars and hood moulds. Interior has mid C17 wooden panelled room, with other mid C17 woodwork. 1696 staircase, large newel staircase in tower. 1696 wood and plaster ceiling in hall with heraldic devices. Originally the Vicarage for Kirkoswald Church and converted to College of Vicars c1523; lands reverted to Crown in 1548 and let to various tenants until purchased by Henry Fetherstonhaugh in 1590; remained in the same family ever since. (Listed Building Report)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:29

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact