The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Braithwell Moat Hall

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Le Priorie

In the civil parish of Braithwell.
In the historic county of Yorkshire.
Modern Authority of Doncaster.
1974 county of South Yorkshire.
Medieval County of Yorkshire West Riding.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK53449437
Latitude 53.44346° Longitude -1.19684°

Braithwell Moat Hall has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Ruins of a medieval house. c1430. For John Vyncent of Braithwell (Hey, p78). Magnesian limestone. Probably a 1st-floor hall house with cross-wing and service wing; an intact archway into the central cross-wing survives with the outline of the hall to left being defined by rubble walls which rise no more than 1 metre in height; service rooms on opposite side of passage are less clearly defined and have as yet to be fully excavated, a well and oven site are exposed. The arch is pointed and of 2 hollow-chamfered orders and has rebate to rear with draw-bar sockets. Occupies a moated site originally a grange of Lewes Priory (Sussex) but leased in 1427 to John Vyncent who was allowed to build 'a hall with room to the west end 32 feet long by 18 feet broad' (Hey op.cit). A series of 3 round-headed arches from the service wing was removed in 1939 and one survives at Lambcote Grange in Staintcn parish. C20 excavation (Green, p 233) recorded a site approximately 70 feet x 20 feet and attributed earlier dates to the building. (Listed Building Report)

Moat Hall, Braithwell is an important example of a moated site containing in situ foundations of medieval buildings and with ancillary buildings close by. Indeed it is the best-preserved medieval grange site in the county. In addition, organic material will have survived in the waterlogged areas of the moat.
The monument comprises a rectangular island measuring c.30m by c.45m surrounded by a 10m wide moat, filled in to the south and east but still waterfilled to the west and north-west. The moat was fed from the south by a now filled-in channel leading from a tributary of Ruddle Dike. A depression shows the position of the south arm of the moat, which is still inclined to marshiness at its western end. In the centre of the island are the ruins of a group of sixteenth century cottages, demolished in the 1940s and found to contain parts of earlier buildings. These included an in situ 13th century archway and the remains of "Moat Hall", a 15th century timber-framed grange of Lewes Priory leased to John Vincent of Braithwell in 1427 and known as "Le Priorie". Associated buildings stood outside the moated area and included a tithe barn demolished early this century. The present house is reputed to have been the dovecote and at least two other barns are referred to in the Lewes Cartulary. (Scheduling Report)

The Moat Hall, Braithwell, now completely ruined, '... is surrounded by a moat still visible on three sides and in wet weather partially filled with water.' In the 16th c. the house was converted into a private residence. It was again converted into two cottages, in the 19th c. These were recently demolished.
The remains {1942} include:- the 13th c. arch of the main entrance, in the S. wall; the remains of 16th c. window sills and mullions, in situ; a carved stone which was part of a traceried window. (Mr T Salvin (plan & illust.))
An arcade of '... three arches of an earlier type than the main entrance. These arches were dismantled in 1939 and are now erected in the garden of Mr. H. Brown of Maltby.'
Recent investigations, by various persons, have proved inconclusive. One suggestion is that the Moat Hall '... had once been used as a hospital for the Abbey of Roche ... ,' the west side being the dwelling-place and the east side used as a chapel. "Moat Cottage" near to the Holywell Lane was obviously once a dovecot and a large barn with pantiled roof occupies the eastern portion of the ground (Greene 1938-43).
The remains of Moat Hall comprise portions of three exterior walls, and fragments of the fourth. Also included are the foundations of the lean-to scullery shown in the plan photographed on A0/59/199/7, and portions of internal walls.
All walling is built of stone, roughly faced and coursed, and is 0.6m. thick. A portion of the south wall contains a two centred arch (referred to by Greene) and stands to a height of 3m. The remainder have been levelled to a uniform height of 1m. Set into the S wall adjoining the W side of the arch is the remains of the 16th c. mullion described by Greene, but no obvious remains of the tracery could be located. Much debris is scattered in and around the structure.
The corner of the extension to the E as shown in A0/59/199/7 is not visible on the ground.
Of the three arches ascribed to the possession of Mr Bown (not Brown) of Maltby, one remains erected in his garden. One other is reconstructed in the garden wall of Lambcote Grange.
The moat is well defined on all but the south side. Here it is traceable as a shallow depression of average depth 0.8m. The average depth elsewhere is 1.3m. It is water filled in the western arm, and NE corner.
Moat Cottage at SK 5343 9433 is a renovated, two gabled and two storeyed structure built of faced coursed rubble. Several large apertures in the north and east walls have been blocked. It appears lofty for the average cottage; but the impression gained is that it was constructed as a dwelling. Mr Sawyer is the present tenant.
The barn at SK 5343 9434 is a roofless ruin. Only the north gable, and fragments of the east and west walls remain standing. These are built of roughly dressed and coursed stone, and are 0.6m thick.
A 25" A.M. survey of the moat and ruin has been made (F2 RWE 29-JAN-60).
Should be site of capital messuage called Le Priorie, leased in 1427 to John Vyncent of Braithwell by prior of Lewes. John was to rebuild 'a hall with a room at the west end 32 ft by 18 ft broad'. Prior retained right for monastic servants or himself to stay for three weeks in year if necessary. (Lewes had estates in vill). Priory kept two tithe barns, but two others as well as Kylnehouse, malthouse and stone well were to be leased with the property (Le Patourel 1973).
Survey of ruined timber framed hall (CBA Group 4 Register 1980).
SK 535 943. Moated site. A rectangular moated site of about 1.25 acres, the N and W sides more distinct than the S and E which have been filled in. The 'Moated Cottage' which stands on the site is reputed to be a converted dovecot, but it is very large for this. Much of the island is taken up with private lawns and gardens. On the N side of the moated platform there stand the foundations of a set of 16th century cottages demolished in the 1940's, but which were then found to incorporate portions of earlier buildings, including a 13th century archway still in situ. The foundations of these cottages (and the medieval masonry they may contain) still survive as a garden feature. There are distinct traces of other portions of this building-range underneath the garden lawn (Scheduling Report). (PastScape)

Moated house of a size, form and status similar to many 'fortified' manor house and houses granted a licence to crenellate.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 15/08/2017 15:56:54

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact