The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Oxford Grandpont

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Folly Bridge; South Bridge; Grauntpount; Friar Bacon's Bridge; New Gate

In the civil parish of Oxford.
In the historic county of Oxfordshire.
Modern Authority of Oxfordshire.
1974 county of Oxfordshire.
Medieval County of Berkshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SP51430555
Latitude 51.74632° Longitude -1.25633°

Oxford Grandpont has been described as a certain Fortified Bridge.

There are no visible remains.

This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Folly Bridge formed part of Grandpont, a great causeway crossing the river Thames on the south side of Oxford. The causeway may have been built in the Anglo-Saxon period, and rebuilt in the late 11th century. The bridge was known as South Bridge until the late 17th century when it became known as Folly Bridge. The bridge was usually called Folly Bridge thereafter.
The causeway contained more than 40 arches in the 16th century, and stretched along most of Abingdon Road; it was not continuous, however, but descended wherever there was no liability to flood. The arches were mostly round-headed, but some were pointed, and most of the stonework was concealed under the wider modern road. Folly Bridge crossed the main stream of the river on four narrow arches divided by heavy piers and cutwaters; a tower stood near its southern end beyond the third arch, while the fourth arch was until the 17th century a drawbridge. The arches were at an angle of about 45 degrees to the roadway, to allow for the direction of the stream. In the Middle Ages repairs were financed by a combination of pontage grants and private charity; bridge hermits, appointed from at least the 13th century, were entrusted with alms and were responsible for carrying out repairs. About 1360 the town bought property on the east side of the causeway for the bridge hermits: the Hermitage or Bridgewright's place stood opposite the wayside chapel of St. Nicholas, where alms for the bridge were collected. Hermits were appointed until the late 15th century. Renovations to the bridge were carried out c. 1530 at the expense of John Claymond, president of Corpus Christi College, and among other charitable gifts was one by Dr. Lloyd, presumably Griffith Lloyd, principal of Jesus College, who in 1584–5 shared with the city the cost of railing the bridge. (VCH)

Folly Bridge was built as part of Grandpont Causeway during the medieval period. It was then known as South Bridge. There were four arches with a tower just south of the third arch. This was demolished in 1779. During the 13th to 15th centuries repairs were funded from alms collected by the hermits of St Nicholas on the Abingdon Road. Later expenses of repairs and widening were shared with Berkshire In 1825 the bridge was rebuilt with three arches. A toll house was built in 1844 at the north end of the bridge, but ceased to operate in 1850. (Oxford Urban Archaeological Database 57)
A tower was built, probably in the 13th century, over Folly Bridge just south of the third arch. This was known as the New Gate and was apparently hexagonal with a round arch. The rooms above the arch became known as Friar Bacon's Study, since Roger Bacon is reputed to have studies there. The tower was demolished in 1779. (Oxford Urban Archaeological Database 58)

The whole of the bridge and a small part on the north bank of the Thames where the bridge lay were in Berkshire in the medieval period and until the C20.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
    County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:07

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact