The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Melford Hall, Long Melford

In the civil parish of Long Melford.
In the historic county of Suffolk.
Modern Authority of Suffolk.
1974 county of Suffolk.
Medieval County of Suffolk.

OS Map Grid Reference: TL86664616
Latitude 52.08254° Longitude 0.72287°

Melford Hall, Long Melford has been described as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are major building remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


VCH record of a 'moated enclosure with stronger defensive works (Class G)'. Melford Hall, 3 miles north from Sudbury, occupies the site of a former residence of the abbots of Bury within a very large quadrangular moat; the latter is imperfect, but on the northern side, within the moat, is an earthen bank of considerable width. (VCH)

Moated house constructed in 1559 with 18th and 19th century additions. Field investigations in 1980 found the moat to be rectangular in plan, measuring 270 metres north-south by 160 metres east-west. The east arm had been filled but was traced as a shallow depression at its northern end. The north arm was dry, 18 metres wide and 2.3 metres deep, with a large inner retaining bank 1 metre high. The west arm was 7 metres wide and water-filled. The south arm measured 10 metres wide and had an outer retaining bank 1.5 metres high. It was waterfilled by a small stream, the Chad Brook. An estate map of 1630 shows the house completely moated. (PastScape)

A fine red brick moated mansion standing in a park of about 132 acres. It was built in 1559 by William Cordell, Solicitor General and Master of the Rolls. Queen Elizabeth I visited the house in 1578 and during the wars of the Commonwealth, when it was owned by the Countess of Rivers it was extensively sacked. Considerable work was done during the C18 and later (1813). It is at present owned by Sir William Hyde-Parker. The house is built on 3 sides of a courtyard open to the east. (A plan by John Thorpe at the Soane Museum shows it with an enclosed courtyard). The west front has 3 storeyed outer blocks with towers on the inner corners and a 3-storeyed centre block, built as if it was a gatehouse flanked by smaller towers. The spaces between the towers were originally recessed but were built out with 2 storeyed blocks in 1813. (Listed Building Report)

Despite the VCH record of this being a residence of the abbots of Bury PastScape records that in 1980 'The occupier, who was the previous owner, stated the house to be built on a virgin site in the 16th century. An estate map of 1630, kept at the hall, shows the house completely moated with a gate house at TL 86724618. (Field Investigators Comments-F1 GJM 10-JAN-80)' The location, on the edge of Long Melford, is more in line with that of a medieval estate than a Tudor one although such location evidence is far from definitive. This does seem to have been a manor of the abbey of Bury but was it the site of an abbots residence?
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact