The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Hodsock Priory

In the civil parish of Hodsock.
In the historic county of Nottinghamshire.
Modern Authority of Nottinghamshire.
1974 county of Nottinghamshire.
Medieval County of Nottinghamshire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SK61138542
Latitude 53.36249° Longitude -1.08271°

Hodsock Priory has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


Manorial complex the earliest standing structures dating from the early C16 and having been built by the Clifton family. Present country house of 1829 with alterations of 1873-6. The early complex had an attached chapel mentioned in a Papal Bull of 1226 and confirmed in 1455. (PastScape)

Hodsock Priory gatehouse and bridge. Gatehouse early C16. Red brick with ashlar dressings and some blue brick diaper. East side of 3 storeys plus basement, 3 bays, flanked by single bay protruding, slightly higher, square turrets, with ashlar quoins. To the rear are 2 embattled octagonal turrets. Tiled roof with single red brick stack to the left. Stone coped parapets. A stone band runs under the parapets, with a slightly damaged Lombard frieze below to the 3 bay centre. The right side is on a chamfered ashlar plinth. The basement left has a later single casement with 3 arched lights and lead panes under a flat head with ashlar quoin surround. Above, central double chamfered ashlar arch with double wooden gate. Flanked by single casements, each with 2 arched lights with lead panes under flat heads and with irregular flush ashlar quoin surrounds. There are 2 similar lights and surrounds above, the right being fixed, and 2 similar fixed lights and surrounds on the top floor with a single central larger, similar, 3 light fixed light and similar surround. The turrets each have 5 small rectangular openings. The west side of 3 storeys, 3 bays, is flanked by single protruding turrets with stone coped embattled parapets. The parapet to the central 3 bays is coped with stone. Running below are 2 raised bands and a Lombard frieze as on the east front. Again, a central archway, flanked by similar, single, 2 light casements, above 2 similar casements and on the top floor a single, off-centre, casement. The right turret is set on an ashlar plinth and is narrower than the left. There are 6 small rectangular openings and 2 arched fixed lights with lead panes, one with ashlar arch over, both with red brick hood moulds. The left turret is on a stone plinth and has an arched doorway, 3 steps up, under a chamfered ashlar arch and with wooden door. There are 8 rectangular openings, a single lozenge shaped quatrefoil opening and 2 arched fixed lights. The lower light under segmental arch with red brick hood mould, the other under similar segmental ashlar arch and with ashlar surround. The north and south sides have irregular facades. Interior: in each western turret is a single newel staircase, one with stone treads, the other with wooden treads. These lead to the second floor room which extends across the length of the building and has a Queen-strut roof, with remains of decorative plaster work to some walls. Includes single fireplace on the west side with cable moulding over, which extends around the dado. On the east wall are decorative vertical strips, linked at lintel level by arched bands of cable moulding. There is a further fireplace on the south wall. The central east window has stained glass inscribed "Glory to God On Earth Peace, Goodwill Toward Men". Bridge over dry moat. C16 with C18 and C19 restoration. Ashlar, dressed coursed rubble and red brick. Chamfered ashlar base, 3 red brick arches with brick and dressed coursed rubble over. Ashlar coped parapet with evidence of removed railings. (Listed Building description)

Hodsock was part of the honor of Tickhill which passed to the Crown when forfeited by the Countess of Eu in 1244. Henry III occassionally stayed there, and in 1254 the manor passed to the Lord Edward (future Edward I). In an extant of the manor in 1324, the house ids described as being surrounded by a moat within which were a hall, 3 chambers, a pantry, buttery, kitchen, bakehouse, granary, 2 barns, a chapel, 2 stables and a chamber over the bridge with a portcullis and drawbridge. (HKW)

There is no record of any Priory here, and the reason for naming this house Hodsock Priory is unclear but probably associated with family aggrandisement and the prestige given to 'gothic' buildings by the Pugins in the 1820-30s.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:06

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact