The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Winterborne Herringston

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Wynterbourn; Winterborne Harange

In the civil parish of Winterborne Herringston.
In the historic county of Dorset.
Modern Authority of Dorset.
1974 county of Dorset.
Medieval County of Dorset.

OS Map Grid Reference: SY68908809
Latitude 50.69154° Longitude -2.44135°

Winterborne Herringston has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Herringston, of two storeys and attics has stone walls rendered in cement and roofs covered with slates. Walterus Heryng de Winterborne was granted a licence to crenellate his manor house in 1336 and the main structure of the present house is probably of this date though much altered: there are now no features visible that can be ascribed to a date earlier than the 16th century. The house was built round a courtyard of which the N. range and the N. parts of the E and W ranges were taken down at the beginning of the 19th century. A least of 1441, quoted in a MS of 1820 (at Herringston), refers to a Gatehouse, and the MS. also states that the N. range contained a large semicircular gateway over which was the date 1582. In 1513 the manor was acquired by John Williams, and Coker records that his grandson, Sir John Williams, who succeeded to the estate in 1569, 'by his building and other ornaments much beautified' the house; it is probable that he remodelled or partly rebuilt the house of Walter Heryng, increasing the width of the S range, and the plan has been so hatched, though the extent to which the walls of Walter Heryng's house survive is conjectural. Sir John formed the Great Chamber on the first floor, partly out of the original hall and partly out of a new extension S. of the original building; the plasterwork of the Chamber can be dated to 1616-1625 by the initials C.P. which accompany the Prince of Wales's feathers, but Sir John died in 1617 and an unfinished pilaster on the S. wall suggests that his death put an abrupt end to the embellishment of the Chamber. At the beginning of the 19th century further remodelling was carried out to the designs of Thomas Leverton (letters at Herringston). The buildings round the N. part of the courtyard, including a chapel were pulled down and the space between the curtailed E and W ranges was filled in with the present entrance hall, dining room and library. The hall and the W. range were heightened and covered with a new lower-pitched roof without attics. Later in the 19th century a porch was added to the N. front; in 1899 a substantial new wing was added on the E side of the house, and a conservatory and outbuildings have been added to the W.
The decorated plaster ceiling and the carved panelling in the Great Chamber are remarkable. (PastScape–ref. RCHME)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1336 Sept 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).


Licence to crenellate granted to Walterus Heryng de Wynterbourn, in 1336, from his 'mansum' at Wynterbourn.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:28

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact