The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Teynham Archbishops Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Teynham.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ96616396
Latitude 51.34072° Longitude 0.82144°

Teynham Archbishops Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are no visible remains.


On the road from Barrow Green, past Bank's cottages and near Teynham, were seen the remains of a very thick, flint wall, probably part of the wall of an outbuilding connected with an ancient archiepiscopal palace which, it is supposed, stood on the present site of an orchard on the left hand side of the road at the corner where the road leads to Conyer Quay. On the mound grows a fruit tree. Up to 1847 portions of the ruins were used as farm buildings but in that year, we are told, "the remaining vestiges were destroyed". It is quite probable that this bit of the old wall, down in the marshes, although some distance away, was part of the palace, for such a fine piece of work would only be associated with a place of importance. A plot of ground near the spot where the palace once stood goes by the name of the "Bishop's Garden". Archbishop Walter resided at Teynham Palace and died there in 1205 (Igglesden). Archbishop Lanfranc in 1070 improved the building of the Manor House of Teynham to make it fit for his residence. The Manor House stood in the orchard bounded on the east by the road leading from Teynham Courtand on the north by the road to Conyer. The tithe map of 1832 shows the remains of one building near the corner - presumably the gatehouse - and more remains in the centre of the present orchard. The main building is said to have stood where the stump of the walnut tree can be seen in the photograph. At present there is nothing of the Manor House to be seen, except the irregularity of the turf in the orchard. In the Reeve's account for 1376, mention is made of repairs to the Cloisters and of tiling the hall and the Squires Chamber on the east side of the hall (Selby). Mr George Sattin of Banks Cottages, indicated, where stood until some years ago, a mound with a walnut tree upon it. He said that this was the site of the Bishop's Palace. This fact was confirmed by the Reverend Doe of Teynham Vicarage. The site is within a pasture field partly covered with fruit trees. The ground is very disturbed, and there are significant patches of nettles around the given siting, at TQ 9661 6396. Two pieces of building stone were seen, foreign to the district. The fragment of flint wall, described by Igglesden, could not be found, nor could the "Bishop's Garden" be located. The name does not appear to be known any more (F1 ASP 10-JUL-59).

The tithe map for Teynham, dated 1839 shows two buildings within this field. The entry in the schedule reads - "244. Oast Barn and Yard". It is not possible to tell whether these building represent in whole or part, some of the Palace remains or whether they are later (F2 ASP 11-DEC-59). Kenulf, king of Mercia (AD 794-819), is said to have granted Teynham to Christchurch, Canterbury, after which 'a palace was built in close proximity to the church. Archbishops Baldwin (1184-91), Hubert Walter, who died here (1193-1207), Langton (1207-29) and Raynold (1313-28) in turn lived here. The fact that Archbishop Kilwardby received his pallium from the Pope at Teynham is recorded on a tablet in Westminster Roman Catholic Cathedral.' The traditional site of the palace is opposite Banks Farm, where substantial masonry was observed in the early 20th century. Substantial remains of 4 buildings of 12th-15th century date were excavated to the south of the church in 1983 and at the time thought to be the site of the palace, (TQ96SE51). However, fresh excavations and geophysical survey at the traditional site in 1999 and 2002 revealed a substantial stone structure with 13th century decorated tiles, plastered walls and stained glass. On this evidence, it is more likely that the main residential buildings of the palace complex are located here. Documetary evidence from 1376 indicates a substantial complx consisting of two grange barns, a Great Hall, cloister, vine tenderer's house, watermill, vineyard and saffron garden. (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER            
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:30

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact