The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

London Inn of the Bishop of Ely 2

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Ely House; Ely Place in Oldborne

In the civil parish of Camden.
In the historic county of London and Middlesex.
Modern Authority of London Borough of Camden.
1974 county of Greater London.
Medieval County of Middlesex.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ313816
Latitude 51.51868° Longitude -0.10725°

London Inn of the Bishop of Ely 2 has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 1 listed building protected by law*.


London Inn of the Bishop of Ely. Ely house in Holborn, site given by John Kirkby (1286-90) but built by Bishop Thomas Arundel in C14. Plan made by Grose before demolition showing two-storeyed chapel on north side of a cloister with hall and ancillaries on its south side. Only the chapel survives.

At any early date the bishops had a house in the Temple, and in 1290 Bishop Kirkeby bequeathed an 'inn' or town house, called 'Le Bell,' and nine cottages in Holborn to his successors, on condition that a requiem Mass should be celebrated on the anniversary of his death. John Hotham, who was consecrated in 1316, added to this property. He played a leading part in State affairs during the troublous reign of Edward II., and was entrusted with the Great Seal when Edward III. was proclaimed king in 1327. About this time he bought a house and several parcels of land near his manor in Holborn in the suburb of London, consisting of a vineyard, kitchen garden, orchard, and enclosed pasture, all of which he settled on the see of Ely. By the sixteenth century it was a "handsome and commodious mansion," standing in twenty acres of ground, with the chapel, dedicated to St. Etheldreda, in an adjoining field. (Morewood, 1910)

John de Kirkeby, bishop of Ely from 1286 to 1290, left the land that Ely house is built on to his successors. William de Luda donated more land (1290 to 1298) & the chapel was built by 1303 (GLHER ref 201785). the house itself wasbuilt by 1320. in 1336, bishop John de Hotham added six messuages (a house & lands), two cellars & 40 acres of land. In 1373, bishop Thomas Arundel became bishop. he extended the house, building the cloisters & a gatehouse. The bishops used this building themselves until 1576, when they leased part to Sir Christopher Hatton for his use as a town or manor house (GLHER ref 082091). Used during the Civil War as prison & later a hospital. Substantial remains have been found in watching briefs by department of Greater London Archaeology 1990 at 31-32, 33 & 34 Ely Place. (Greater London HER)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:01

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact