The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Halling Bishops Palace

In the civil parish of Halling.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ70546390
Latitude 51.34854° Longitude 0.44772°

Halling Bishops Palace has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2 listed building protected by law*.


Although part of the site of the bishop's palace at Halling has been destroyed, the monument contains undisturbed below-ground remains, particularly of the great hall, and the surviving wall retains architectural features which illustrate gothic building techniques. The monument includes the remains of the bishop's palace at Halling, situated on the western bank of the River Medway, immediately to the east of the parish Church of St John the Baptist. The monument includes the site of the great hall, but further remains of the palace to the east of the monument, and an associated chapel to the south east, have now been destroyed. The ruined western wall of the great hall, which is Listed at Grade II, remains upstanding to a height of around 6m. It was 0.6m thick and built with a rubble and flint core faced with ragstone blocks interspersed with occasional knapped flints. The wall is pierced by three, single-light windows, the northernmost two of which have trefoil cusps, whilst the southernmost is a simple lancet. The windows are dressed in red ironstone. A further length of medieval walling continues from the northern end of the standing hall wall towards the north for 13m, and survives to a height of c.1m. The remainder of the hall survives to the east in buried form. The palace was built in 1077, and was rebuilt or substantially altered in 1184, and again between 1320 and 1330 by Bishop Hamo de Hythe. During the 18th century, much of the palace superstructure was removed, and the hall was converted into a dwelling house. Further destruction of the ruins took place in the 19th and 20th centuries. The surviving, upstanding remains were restored in 1983. Running towards the east from the northern end of the western hall wall is a short length of stone walling which formed part of a modern pigsty. (Scheduling Report)

Walls, formerly part of the palace of the Bishops of Rochester. Probably C13, but Bishop Hamo de Hethe repaired and enlarged the palace between 1322 and 1337. Flint and ragstone with some sand- stone dressings. 50 feet along east side of churchyard with return wall at north end. Three lancets with cusped heads to east with segmental rere-arches. (Listed Building Report)

The Archbishop's Palace at Halling a short distance from the church and contiguous to the river bank, built in 1077 and rebuilt in 1184. In 1715 the remains of the palace comprised the chapel, hall and gateway. In 1720 the figure of Hamo de Hethe, Bishop of Rochester, was to be "seen in a niche over the exterior of the principal portal". In making the cement works behind the present church nearly every remnant of the palace was removed (Brayley; Finch). Some years ago the roof of the chapel of the Bishop's Palace was destroyed, but the walls with windows and doorway were entire. Part of the hall was converted into a dwelling house. There were also some remains of the kitchen and out-offices. These have since been destroyed (Bibliography of the Topography of Britain vol 1 (1780-90) No VI pt 1 pp 27-8). Halling. The Bishops of Rochester had a palace here, of which there remains a gatehouse and some walls of the hall and chapel; these are said to be part of the work of Bishop Hamo de Hythe, between 1320 and 1330 (Turner and Parker). Bishop's Palace, situated near northeast corner of Halling churchyard. The ruins were mostly destroyed about 1760. The only remains of the Bishop's Palace (excluding the Chapel) is the W. wall of the hall, situated at TQ.70536391, comprising a piece of walling 11.9m. in length, 0.6m. in width and approx. 5.5m. in height, constructed of flint and rubble faced with Kentish Rag. In it are three blocked lancet windows of 13th c. date with ironstone dressings and trefoil cusps internally. The churchyard wall N. to the N.E. corner of the churchyard is of similar thickness and construction and may also be early work. The remains of the chapel are not so easy to establish but by local tradition the building situated at TQ.70576387 is regarded as such. This building is, now in a very derelict condition, falls within a disused cement works and was evidently used as a paint shop, etc. It is clearly far older than the surrounding buildings, constructed of similar material to the Bishop's Palace and orientated nearly E-W (practically identical to the adjacent church). With the exception of a quoin, much mutilated but probably Early English, all identifiable architectural features have been destroyed: the local incumbent, however, stated that at one time a piscina is reputed to have existed in the S. Wall (First OS Archaeology Field Investigator 07/11/1951). The chapel has been destroyed (the whole of that particular area having been demolished for ballast). The walling at TQ 70536391, incorporated into the east wall of Halling churchyard remains in good condition. Attached to and extending E. of the wall is a short length of walling of somewhat similar though thinner construction which forms part of some disused piggeries. It does not appear to be bonded to the main wall and it is therefore unlikely to be contemporary (Second OS Archaeology Field Investigator 19/06/1959). (PastScape)
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:31

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact