The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Bearpark Priors House

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Beaurepaire, Bear Park

In the civil parish of Bearpark.
In the historic county of Durham.
Modern Authority of Durham.
1974 county of County Durham.
Medieval County of County Palatinate of Durham.

OS Map Grid Reference: NZ24284387
Latitude 54.78946° Longitude -1.62369°

Bearpark Priors House has been described as a certain Palace.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.


The remains of the Prior's House and chapel of Beaurepaire or Bear Park, built by Prior Bertram (1244-58), later destroyed by the Scots and rebuilt, C.1346, by Prior Fosser. Whilst the Prior and Bishop of Durham had to lived at close quarters within the city, the Bishop had his favourite country seat at Bishop Auckland and the Prior his rather nearer home here at Beaurepaire; both houses were the centres of large hunting parks, that at Beaurepaire of 1300 acres. Beau Repaire is French for beautiful retreat and the manor house here was used as a retreat for the priors and monk of Durham Cathedral. It could house up to 40 monks at any one time. It was built in the mid 13th century (1244-58). Beaurepaire seems to have begun as a retirement home built buy Prior Bertram de Middleton (1244-1258), and was considerable extended over the next fifty years or so. It suffered badly during Scottish attacks culminating in the nearby Battle of Neville's Cross in 1346 'Only the shattered and roofless shell of the chapel is now standing, with dilapidated remains of some adjacent buildings'. The building was restored and extended again by Prior Fossour (1341-1374) to develop into a rest home for the monks of Durham, as did Finchale Priory to the north of the city, although the Prior continued to use it (along with his manor house at Pittington) as a favoured country residence until the Dissolution; Prior Hugh de Whitehead, the last Prior, is known to have carried out considerable alterations. The buildings continued in use as an occasional residence of the early deans of Durham, until during the Civil War the Scots inflicted further damage in the 1640s, after which most of them lay in ruin. Fortunately the site attracted antiquarian attention and a series of informative drawings (notably those of Grimm) provides much information on buildings lost to decay and clearance in the 19th century. Old prints chronicle the gradual loss of the ruins. An 1827 print by Davison shows only the south gable of the hall and south wall of the chapel standing, and an 1846 drawing by Billings only the hall gable, shown again in sketches by Blair dated 1891; this finally fell in a storm during the autumn of 1893. The few fragments that survived attracted little attention, until major excavations in the 1980s and consolidation work exposed many lower walls. Inevitably the freely-accessible site is now beginning to suffer from the attentions of vandals. All that survives now are some ruined walls and a number of grass-covered mounds. The site is a Scheduled Ancient Monument protected by law. (Durham HER)

Technically should not be in the Gatehouse gazetteer, which includes only royal and bishops palaces. Included because comes up as a palace on a search of the Durham HER. Hutchinson writes was part of the possessions of the bishop before being obtained by Prior Bertram, but with no suggestion of it being a residential site. This is a particular interesting example of a large magnates house, with an additional function as a place of retirement for Durham monks.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling        
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:20:09

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact