The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Otford Palace

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;
Otford Castle

In the civil parish of Otford.
In the historic county of Kent.
Modern Authority of Kent.
1974 county of Kent.
Medieval County of Kent.

OS Map Grid Reference: TQ52815920
Latitude 51.31137° Longitude 0.19108°

Otford Palace has been described as a certain Palace, and also as a probable Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This site is a scheduled monument protected by law.
This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


A Tudor archbishop's palace and later Tudor royal residence, built on the site of a 12th century manor house, which by the 14th century had been fortified and had an adjacent park. The Tudor palace was built by Archbishop Warham circa 1518. The archbishop's palace consisted of a large galleried building with gate houses at the north and south ends, it was divided into two courts by a central hall. The estate included a park (noted already in 1385). After the death of Warham, in 1537 King Henry VIII persuaded Archbishop Cranmer to give him this and other houses in Kent. Henry's officials carried out some building work between 1541and 1543 but its exact nature is not clear. In 1601 Queen Elizabeth I sold the palace to Sir Robert Sidney in order to finance her Irish wars. During the 17th century the house was abandoned and the park was split up into farms. Remains at the site include water conduits, the north-west tower a hall and part of the outer wall of Warham's palace. (PastScape)

The Green TQ 5259 21/747 Nos I to 3 (consec) l0.9.54 (Castle Cottages) and Store Building at East end (Formerly listed as Palace of the Archbishop of Canterbury) II-star GV 2. These buildings are part of the only surviving range of the palace built by Archbishop Warham in the early C16. The original walls of red brick with blue headers and stone quoins and dressings. High galleted rubble plinth with moulded stone coping. Windows of 1 or 2 Tudor-arched lights, mostly under hoodmoulds. The 2-storey cottages, of 1 or 2 windows' width, have 1st floors rebuilt in brick and rebuilt tiled roofs. Modern casement windows and modern doors, that of No 2 under original, 4-centred stone arch. Storage building (AM) (formerly the chapel) also has renewed tiled roof hipped over half-octagonal ends. 2 doors under moulded stone arches, 1 3-centred and one 4-centred. At west end of the range stands the roofless tower of the palace, now a scheduled AM but visually part of the group. (Listed Building Report)

The archbishops of Canterbury had, from the earliest accounts, a HOUSE or PALACE here, in which they resided from time to time, as appears by their frequent mandates, dated from their manor house of Otford, being a most commodious and favorite retirement for them; adjoining to which they had two large parks, extensive woods, and other lands for their pleasure and convenience, in their own possession. Archbishop Thomas Becket seems to have been greatly pleased with the retired situation of this palace, and several tales are told of the miracles he wrought whilst at it; among others, that the archbishop finding the house wanted a fit spring to water it, stuck his staff into the dry ground, and that water immediately burst forth, where the well called from thence St. Thomas's Well, now is, which afterwards plentifully supplied the palace. Here that great prelate archbishop Robert Winchelsea entertained king Edward I. in his 29th year, anno 1300, and he resided here at the time of his death in the 6th year of king Edward II. anno 1313, at which time it appears that there was a park here, which extended into Sevenoke parish, for four years afterwards the succeeding archbishop, Walter Reynolds, had the king's licence to purchase lands in that parish towards the enlarging of it, but this afterwards not being thought by one of his successors, archbishop Simon Islip, sufficient for his accommodation, he with the king's licence purchased lands and meadows here, in the 33d and 34th years of king Edward III's reign, in order to be inclosed with other lands by the archbishop, and for another park to be made here, since known by the name of the Lesser or Little Park. Archbishop Deane, who came to the see in the 16th year of king Henry VII. rebuilt great part of this house; notwithstanding which, his immediate successor, archbishop Warham, thinking the house too mean for him to reside in, as he intended to do, on account of his quarrel with the citizens of Canterbury, rebuilt the whole of it, excepting the hall and the chapel, at the expence of 33,000l. a large sum at that time, and here he entertained that splendid prince king Henry VIII. who rested with the archbishop at it several times both in the 1st and 7th years of his reign. His next successor, archbishop Cranmer, observing that this stately palace excited the envy of the courtiers, passed it away, with his other estates in this parish, in exchange, in the 29th year of that reign, to the king, as has been already mentioned. (Hasted)

The medieval palace is said to have been fortified although the form of these fortifications is unclear or unknown.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER   Scheduling   Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:19:31

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact