The comprehensive gazetteer and bibliography of the medieval castles, fortifications and palaces of England, Wales, the Islands.
The listings
Other Info
Print Page 
Next Record 
Previous Record 
Back to list 

Woodmanton Moat

Also known as, or recorded in historical documents as;

In the civil parish of Clifton Upon Teme.
In the historic county of Worcestershire.
Modern Authority of Worcestershire.
1974 county of Hereford and Worcester.
Medieval County of Worcestershire.

OS Map Grid Reference: SO71926047
Latitude 52.24170° Longitude -2.41264°

Woodmanton Moat has been described as a certain Fortified Manor House.

There are masonry ruins/remnants remains.

This is a Grade 2* listed building protected by law*.


Farmhouse, kitchen and outbuildings with tower base. In three parts. Farmhouse: about 1827. Red brick, probably formerly stuccoed, hipped slate roof, 2 brick stacks. Plain villa. 2 storeys, plain pilasters at corners. 3 windows: 16-pane sashes under rubbled brick heads; ground floor: 20-pane sashes flanking central entrance with stuccoed portico, the square plan pillars bear incised Soanean design, and support flat canopy with moulded cornice, the door is half glazed with a marginally glazed rectangular fan-light. Kitchen: possibly former chapel, attached to north east corner of house: C14 with C16 to C19 alterations. Timber-frame with brick cladding and rubble additions. 2 storeys with 3 ranges of C19 casements, under segmental heads on ground floor, underside of tie-beam on left gable (visible from the rear) indicates position of a former window; rubble outshut to rear probably C18. Interior: 2 framed bays; central truss has massive tie-beam (formerly with solid curved braces), jowelled main posts; the ashlar pieces are curved and extend to meet the curved braces to the collar, forming a 2 centred arch; the common rafters have similar ashlar pieces and braces; there are no purlins. The wall-plate is of 2 timbers, with roll mouldings. Blocked 2-light window with ogee trefoiled heads in rear (north) wall. Existing floor is probably C17, stack probably inserted in C16. Outbuildings with tower base, attached to south west corner of house: mid C19 and possibly C14. Rubble with plain tile roof. L plan, circular tower base at extreme north west corner. 3 bays in south range, 4 in west range with segmental headed openings, C20 rsj to main opening in north range, principal feature the base of a coursed rubble tower at north west corner projecting into moat. The tower base, moat to west and south of house and possible chapel may date to 1332 when John de Wisham obtained a licence to crenellate. (Listed Building Report)

The old moated wooden mansion was taken down in the early part of the present century, and rebuilt of stone by the late Martin Croucher, Esq. It is said there were, at the quadrangles of the inner margin of the moat, four loop-holed round towers or turrets of stone: only one now remains. The draw-bridge was taken down, and part of the moat filled up, probably about a century and a half ago, after the conclusion of the civil war. (Allies 1852)

Woodmanton Manor is an extensive building with a timber framed block forming its north-east range. This was originally a three bay open hall aligned east-west. The four trusses employ massive tiebeams, and both these and the equally large wall plates are deeply moulded. Other surviving decorative elements include trefoil window heads and a rather curious first-floor gallery in the westernmost bay with a slightly different form of arch-braced crown post roof, and less heavy wall plates. This gallery appears to have had an integral first floor corridor entering from structures further west but it is incomplete and the western end has been replaced. The two eastern bays have a later inserted floor. An inserted stack, with a massive mantel beam (undated)occupies the eastern wall. The analysis was undertaken during the modernisation of the living accommodation in the later areas of the house by Nick Joyce and Associates. Dating commissioned by the owner, Mr David Lee. The Felling dates for the Open Hall are 1321 to 1353. For the inserted floor 1599 to 1635 (Sheffield University 2005; Joyce 2001). (Worcestershire and Worcester City HER)

A Royal licence to crenellate was granted in 1332 Jan 26 (Click on the date for details of this licence.).


This crenellated house was fundamentally a timber building, although with a masonry curtain and towers. It seems to have been started in the 1320s, before the licence was granted. The licence may have been obtained for a 'topping out' ceremony as may have been usual.
Links to archaeological and architectural databases, mapping and other online resources

Data >
PastScape   County HER       Listing   I. O. E.
Maps >
Streetmap   NLS maps   Where's the path   Old-Maps      
Data/Maps > 
Magic   V. O. B.   Geology   LiDAR   Open Domesday  
Air Photos > 
Bing Maps   Google Maps   Getmapping   ZoomEarth      
Photos >
CastleFacts   Geograph   Flickr   Panoramio      

Sources of information, references and further reading
Most of the sites or buildings recorded in this web site are NOT open to the public and permission to visit a site must always be sought from the landowner or tenant.
It is an offence to disturb a Scheduled Monument without consent. It is a destruction of everyone's heritage to remove archaeological evidence from ANY site without proper recording and reporting.
Don't use metal detectors on historic sites without authorisation.
The information on this web page may be derived from information compiled by and/or copyright of Historic England, County Historic Environment Records and other individuals and organisations. It may also contain information licensed under the Open Government Licence. All the sources given should be consulted to identify the original copyright holder and permission obtained from them before use of the information on this site for commercial purposes.
The author and compiler of Gatehouse does not receive any income from the site and funds it himself. The information within this site is provided freely for educational purposes only.
The bibliography owes much to various bibliographies produced by John Kenyon for the Council for British Archaeology, the Castle Studies Group and others.
Suggestions for finding online and/or hard copies of bibliographical sources can be seen at this link.
Minor archaeological investigations, such as watching brief reports, and some other 'grey' literature is most likely to be held by H.E.R.s but is often poorly referenced and is unlikely to be recorded here, or elsewhere, but some suggestions can be found here.
The possible site or monument is represented on maps as a point location. This is a guide only. It should be noted that OS grid references defines an area, not a point location. In practice this means the actual center of the site or monument may often, but not always, be to the North East of the point shown. Locations derived from OS grid references and from latitude longitiude may differ by a small distance.
Further information on mapping and location can be seen at this link.
Please help to make this as useful a resource as possible by contacting Gatehouse if you see errors, can add information or have suggestions for improvements in functality and design.
Help is acknowledged.
*The listed building may not be the actual medieval building, but a building on the site of, or incorporating fragments of, the described site.
This record last updated 26/07/2017 09:21:28

Home | Books | Links | Fortifications and Castles | Other Information | Help | Downloads | Author Information | Contact